[SOLVED] Cloned drive not booting

Jun 2, 2021
I cloned an existing Samsung EVO 850 500 Gb drive with Win 10 to a new Samsung EVO 870 1Tb drive using Samsung Data Migration software. There are three partitions on the existing drive, and I cloned all three to the new drive. Using the data migration software didn't seem to present any problems as it went through the entire process and shut down when finished. I swapped the drives (this is a laptop) and when the new cloned drive boots, it shows the windows logo then a blank screen. The mouse pointer is on the screen and moves with the mouse but nothing else. No error messages or anything. The HD light flashes every couple seconds but it will just stay that way indefinitely. Any ideas as to what happened and if I need to find some other software to clone this drive.

Solution
Sometimes USB to sata adapters use non-compatible drive partitioning.
So if drive is partitioned using this specific adapter, then connected directly to pc, data on the drive becomes inaccessible.

Try a different USB to sata adapter or
perform cloning on a desktop computer with both drives connected via sata cables.
Jun 2, 2021
Old drive was disconnected. The old drive was in the laptop and cloned to new via USB. After clone was complete and computer shut off, removed old drive and installed new into laptop. Old drive not connected to system at all. Attempted to boot and go the result stated. The system sees the new drive and partially boots (windows screen appears), then blank screen.

Sometimes USB to sata adapters use non-compatible drive partitioning.
So if drive is partitioned using this specific adapter, then connected directly to pc, data on the drive becomes inaccessible.

Try a different USB to sata adapter or
perform cloning on a desktop computer with both drives connected via sata cables.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS