[SOLVED] Cloned HDD to SSD, Fights for booting priority

May 14, 2020
So i have my 1st boot option to be my m.2 nvme drive, and ever since i've cloned my old hdd to sdd (as a second boot option) it's been only booting to the cloned ssd. If i unplug the cloned ssd it will boot to my nvme normally.

As of right now , my bios shows that my nvme is first priority but it still boots to the clones ssd. I would like to just keep the cloned ssd as a second boot option, and be able to access the files from my main boot drive.

And at one point i had it working correctly, but the cloned ssd will cause random errors in my main boot drive. Like core temp and ryzen master will not open and cpu-z will always start up with a error and wont show my memory info. As soon as i unplugged the ssd, and boot normally to the nvme, it fixed all the issues. Does anyone know why this happens?

Solution
Oh yes, it had an OS on it. I thought i can just dual boot with no issues. Is there a way to remove the OS from the cloned drive and keep the files?
Move your 'files' to elsewhere, and wipe that drive completely.
Then, move them back if you desire.

That is by far the easiest way forward.

Of course, before you wipe anything on this drive, you VERIFY that the system actually boots with only the NVMe drive connected.
May 14, 2020
I cloned a old hdd to a samsung 860 evo ssd with EASEUS. My actual main boot device is my m.2 nvme (intel 660p) I cloned it because my old hdd was dying and wanted to save all my files.

USAFRet

Titan
I cloned a old hdd to a samsung 860 evo ssd with EASEUS. My actual main boot device is my m.2 nvme (intel 660p) I cloned it because my old hdd was dying and wanted to save all my files.
And the old HDD had an OS on it?
2 identical OS's in the same system is rarely a good idea. You run into issues just like this.

Cloning is not for saving files, rather it is for moving a whole OS install to another drive and actually using it.

May 14, 2020
And the old HDD had an OS on it?
2 identical OS's in the same system is rarely a good idea. You run into issues just like this.

Cloning is not for saving files, rather it is for moving a whole OS install to another drive and actually using it.

Oh yes, it had an OS on it. I thought i can just dual boot with no issues. Is there a way to remove the OS from the cloned drive and keep the files?

And by identical OS's you mean like two Windows 10's?

USAFRet

Titan

Of course, before you wipe anything on this drive, you VERIFY that the system actually boots with only the NVMe drive connected.

Solution
May 14, 2020

Yup it does, right now as im replying to you. The cloned drive is disconnected. And Im booted to my nvme drive.

May 14, 2020
If the cloned ssd is connected , my pc wont allow me to boot to my nvme drive to copy the files over. Even with if i have the nvme drive as 1st boot option and the cloned as 2nd. It was working correctly and one day it just boots directly to the cloned ssd. That's why i had to unplug the cloned ssd to get into my nvme drive.

USAFRet

Titan
If the cloned ssd is connected , my pc wont allow me to boot to my nvme drive to copy the files over. Even with if i have the nvme drive as 1st boot option and the cloned as 2nd. It was working correctly and one day it just boots directly to the cloned ssd. That's why i had to unplug the cloned ssd to get into my nvme drive.
This is where a USB dock is incredibly handy. You can connect the old drive AFTER the OS starts up.

May 14, 2020
Holy smokes, i just moved used a different sata port on my mobo and now it boots properly and i can still access the files. Im going to backup the files and then wipe the ssd.