Question Cloned new NVMe M.2 Crucial P1 from old Sata SSD Not showing up in BIOS.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tomtoms1234

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
Hello I just cloned my SATA SSD BOOT DRIVE to my new NVMe M.2 SSD using the provided Crucial cloning software (Acronis). I assigned the new drive to A: and it shows up in "My computer" So I load up BIOS and the new SSD does not show up anywhere, I tried unplugging the old boot SSD but I get an error message when I boot the computer up saying to "reboot and select proper boot device..." I made sure the System reserved partition was active in the cloned disk too.

Help please!

Macrium will clone the drive well if no other considerations apply. Is it the case that the new drive has never been enumerated in bios ? Even after the macrium operation ? And, despite that omission, it has shown in disk management or My Computer ?

Secondly, I am interested to see that the drive appears to be a slow horse, viz :

But the wiping of the cloned disk is taking forever atm!
acronic disk cleaner was frozen and didn't complete

Did the windows format take a while ? Was it a quick format or full ?

tomtoms1234

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
Macrium will clone the drive well if no other considerations apply. Is it the case that the new drive has never been enumerated in bios ? Even after the macrium operation ? And, despite that omission, it has shown in disk management or My Computer ?

Secondly, I am interested to see that the drive appears to be a slow horse, viz :

But the wiping of the cloned disk is taking forever atm!
acronic disk cleaner was frozen and didn't complete

Did the windows format take a while ? Was it a quick format or full ?
I don't know what enumerated in bios means, so I don't believe so?
The cloned drive does show up in disk management and My Computer
The windows format was quick, and I do believe the 930GB is the correct usable storage amount for a 1TB SSD

tomtoms1234

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
Did you read and follow my link above from Macrium?
It speaks to using their ReDeploy tool to get this running.
In one of their steps it requires you to "
Specify driver locations for your mass storage devices (such as RAID card).

1. If you haven't already, insert a driver disk for the hardware you are going to boot from.
    This will typically be the motherboard or RAID card driver CD."
This is not possible for me as I do not have a CD Drive.

tomtoms1234

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
What kind of capacity had you used? If at all viable, a clean OS install might be a better route to go.

If cloning is the route you want/need to go, that's fine.... Maybe try posting screenshots of what you're seeing before initiating the clone, just to make sure you're cloning everything.
I just might have to opt for the clean install. But there are still questions regarding this. If my BIOS doesn't even pick up my new SSD how would I install the OS onto it? Should I wipe my cloned SSD again before I install the OS onto it? What happens to my current
Bootable SSD with the OS on it? Does that SSD get wiped in the process? Do I have to transfer all important data from that drive onto my hard drive that I use for storage?

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
I just might have to opt for the clean install. But there are still questions regarding this. If my BIOS doesn't even pick up my new SSD how would I install the OS onto it? Should I wipe my cloned SSD again before I install the OS onto it? What happens to my current
Bootable SSD with the OS on it? Does that SSD get wiped in the process? Do I have to transfer all important data from that drive onto my hard drive that I use for storage?

Thanks
For a potential clean install, first test.

Return the system back to original working condition, without the NVMe drive in it.
Create a Win 10 USB install
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Disconnect ALL other drives, connect the new NVMe drive, and start the install process from the USB stick.
See if the system recognizes the new NVMe drive.

Thanks

Yes, not appearing in bios is strange because practically speaking, windows only installs items the bios enumerates/starts and hands off. But try it and let us know Does the NVMe drive show up in the installer as a place to install windows ?
Here are the steps to take to install. Remember to remove the old drive first.

However I have low hopes . If the clone didn't take, the drive itself is suspect especially as you say the bios does not show it connected.

---------------------------------------------

Create an up to date USB install media by following the steps outlined here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
Then disconnect or disable all hdd /ssd drives but the one where you will install windows.

Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the board. Next startup and go to the board setup and ensure the board is configured to use UEFI boot settings, CSM is enabled and SATA mode set to AHCI.

On the motherboard boot device menu, select the command that identifies both the firmware mode and the device. For example, select UEFI: USB Drive or Windows Boot Manager: USB and list that device in the first boot slot on the board.
Reboot. Install begins.

When choosing an installation type, select Custom. On new disks, the drive will show a single area of unallocated space. If there are partitions, select each one and then "delete".

Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, partitions the drive using the GPT and begins the installation.

NOTE: Any data on the drive will be lost

tomtoms1234

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
Yes, not appearing in bios is strange because practically speaking, windows only installs items the bios enumerates/starts and hands off. But try it and let us know Does the NVMe drive show up in the installer as a place to install windows ?
Here are the steps to take to install. Remember to remove the old drive first.

However I have low hopes . If the clone didn't take, the drive itself is suspect especially as you say the bios does not show it connected.

---------------------------------------------

Create an up to date USB install media by following the steps outlined here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
Then disconnect or disable all hdd /ssd drives but the one where you will install windows.

Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the board. Next startup and go to the board setup and ensure the board is configured to use UEFI boot settings, CSM is enabled and SATA mode set to AHCI.

On the motherboard boot device menu, select the command that identifies both the firmware mode and the device. For example, select UEFI: USB Drive or Windows Boot Manager: USB and list that device in the first boot slot on the board.
Reboot. Install begins.

When choosing an installation type, select Custom. On new disks, the drive will show a single area of unallocated space. If there are partitions, select each one and then "delete".

Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, partitions the drive using the GPT and begins the installation.

NOTE: Any data on the drive will be lost
Okay thank you, I will try this. What happens to my old ssd drive? Will all the data on that drive be wiped? This drive would still have windows os on it as it was my old boot drive. Once I plug it back in do I format it? How does that work?

I also have a regular harddrive that acts as my storage, when I plug this back in after the fresh is install, will all my data still be in there?

tomtoms1234

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
For a potential clean install, first test.

Return the system back to original working condition, without the NVMe drive in it.
Create a Win 10 USB install
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Disconnect ALL other drives, connect the new NVMe drive, and start the install process from the USB stick.
See if the system recognizes the new NVMe drive.

When I unplug all drives except my nvme drive I'm sure it will tell me to reboot and insert proper bootable device error. When I boot up, do I have the USB drive already in my computer? Will it run the usb automatically?

tomtoms1234

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
Okay thank you, I will try this. What happens to my old ssd drive? Will all the data on that drive be wiped? This drive would still have windows os on it as it was my old boot drive. Once I plug it back in do I format it? How does that work?

I also have a regular harddrive that acts as my storage, when I plug this back in after the fresh is install, will all my data still be in there?

Any input on this?

USAFRet

Titan
Do I need to download a software to wipe the drive? Or will the windows built in formatting do just fine (My computer->right click ssd->format drive
You're doing a clean install on this drive?

If so:

Section II, Step 6 & 7 speak to deleting all existing partitions during this install.
You don't need any other software. And a simple "format" does not do it.
DELETE all existing partitions.

tomtoms1234

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
You're doing a clean install on this drive?

If so:

Section II, Step 6 & 7 speak to deleting all existing partitions during this install.
You don't need any other software. And a simple "format" does not do it.
DELETE all existing partitions.

One problem happens after step 8 it doesn't go to Cortana setup but instead it restarts and begins back to the installation all over again

Edit: I did some reading and saw that simply removing the usb then restarting finishes the setup but upon doing this, it says no bootable device detected and that it will just bring me to the bios screen

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
One problem happens after step 8 it doesn't go to Cortana setup but instead it restarts and begins back to the installation all over again

Edit: I did some reading and saw that simply removing the usb then restarting finishes the setup but upon doing this, it says no bootable device detected and that it will just bring me to the bios screen
At the restart, remove the USB stick.

tomtoms1234

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
SOLVED: I had to upgrade my motherboard firmware (downloaded gigabytes windows app and updated it from there), afterwards my NVMe SSD was being shown in BIOS.
Ended up performing a clean windows install.
Thanks for all the help guys!!