cloned ssd now has a 233gb OEM partition

Feb 3, 2019
I cloned my old, smaller boot SSD onto a new M.2 with a larger capacity with Macrium Reflect. After the clone, I had a bunch of allocated space due to cloning from a smaller SSD. I could only use the unallocated space to extend the OEM partition, so all that space is basically unusable. Is it possible to delete the OEM partition? Do I need it? Or is there a way to just shrink the OEM partition? The OEM partition is larger than the usable partition, and takes up half of the drive. It's 233GB, it's ridiculous.

Some things will need to be known. First, I assume your system has an UEFI bios since it is new enough to have an M.2 interface. Second, was your BIOS in compatibility mode when you did the cloning? Did Macrium ask if you wanted GPT or MBR partition table and do you know how you set it up?

You probably should look at what Microsoft has to say about partition tables for the way you set up your system since UEFI needs several partitions to operate correctly.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/configure-uefigpt-based-hard-drive-partitions

You don't usually see all of them in Device Manager, I'm not sure Macrium shows you the complete picture. If not you might need to get a true partition manager tool. But you should be able to delete the unneeded partitions and grow the data partition to fill up the space. The problem is always being sure you don't delete the wrong partitions, e.g., the Microsft Reserved (MSR) and the UEFI System partitions. Also make sure the UEFI System partition meets minimum size.

That page describes the layout, but it uses internal Windows command line tools like DiskPart to both look at the disk and manage it. If you're not comfortable with those tools get a better partition manager. I'm willing to bet that using Macrium to re-clone the drive will result in the same thing unless you know what you did wrong and make some option changes.

Here's one simple suggestion: if you can see that OEM partition in Disk Manager, map it with a drive letter and go explore it. If it's empty then it should be safe to delete, then expand the true Data partition to use up the space. You can leave all the other partions alone if they are small enough not to be a bother. You may have difficulty doint this in Disk Manager though. If so you'll need to get a real partition manager...or get comfortable with DiskPart.

Feb 3, 2019

To answer the beginning questions:
1. My system has a UEFI bios
2. If compatibility mode is something I have to manually set up before cloning, then probably not.
3. I believe I picked GPT.

Both Macrium and Disk Manager show 4 partitions on my boot drive:
1. Recovery (OEM Partition), 300 MB NTFS
2. (EFI system partition), 99 MB
3. (C: ), 231.87 GB NTFS
4. (OEM partition), 233.38 GB NTFS

I'm not sure how to interact with the problem OEM partition, the 4th partition. When I right click it on Disk Manager, the only option is 'Help', which just opens up the browser to search up how to use disk manager. I don't see a way for me to inspect its contents.

After typing the above, I've opened up DiskPart and inspected the disk. It lists 5 partitions instead of the 4 shown on Disk Manager and Macrium. It reads:
1. Recovery, 300 MB, Offset 1024 KB
2. System, 99 MB, Offset 301 MB
3. Reserved, 128 MB, Offset 400MB
4. Primary, 231 GB, Offset 528 MB
5. Recovery, 233GB, Offset 232 GB

I'm confused about why the OEM partition in questions reads as a second Recovery partition. I know in DiskPart I could 'delete partition override', but I just don't know if this partition has contents that are important, or even how to access and inspect it.

EDIT: I checked again, and Macrium actually shows the 5 partitions, I must be blind. Macrium also tells me that 464.2 MB of the 5th partition is being used by something. Still don't know what.

The 'OEM' Partition is the Recovery partition. It is important but does not have to be 233gb so you could shrink it to somewhat larger than its contents...maybe 500mb. Then grow the Data partition....C:....to use the resulting unallocated space. Probably won't be able to do that in Drive Manager, you could probably do it with DiskPart but I'd not try.

You have to reduce size of the OEM partion, move it around so you can get all the free space contiguous with the 'C:' partition, then expand the 'C:' partition into the unallocated space. If Macrium can't do that for you then you could go look for something called MiniTool Partition Wizard. The free version for home use is good enough to do all those things and is real easy to use.

Feb 3, 2019

Wow, this program solved everything for me, thank you!

TRENDING THREADS