Question Cloned SSD to M.2 - is it possible to boot off of original SSD

Syrphid

Prominent
Oct 26, 2021
I cloned my SSD to a PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 drive. Everything is working fine except I am using Daminion Server Software for my photo catalog and can open Daminion but not my catalog. I didn't realize that Daminion would think it was installed on a new computer since the drive was cloned, so now I can't open my catalog because the software opens but doesn't recognize where anything is.

I think I can fix this if I can plug my old SSD back into my computer. But if I plug in the SSD can I really get the computer to boot off of the SSD instead of the M.2 drive?

Thanks for any advice!

USAFRet

Titan
I cloned my SSD to a PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 drive. Everything is working fine except I am using Daminion Server Software for my photo catalog and can open Daminion but not my catalog. I didn't realize that Daminion would think it was installed on a new computer since the drive was cloned, so now I can't open my catalog because the software opens but doesn't recognize where anything is.

I think I can fix this if I can plug my old SSD back into my computer. But if I plug in the SSD can I really get the computer to boot off of the SSD instead of the M.2 drive?

Thanks for any advice!
Properly done, there should be no problem like this.

The "clone" is a (mostly) exact copy of the source.
Whatever the software was pointing at is still the same. Drive letters, folders, whatever.

At the end of the clone process, did you...
Power OFF
physically remove or disconnect the old drive
power up, and allow the system to boot from only the new?

Whatever drive letters from any other drives should still be the same as original.

Syrphid

Prominent
Oct 26, 2021
I really wish I had cloned to a larger SSD instead of the M.2 drive. I opted to have a computer repair company in town clone the drive and make the BIOS changes for me to get the computer to boot from the M.2 drive (my ASUS motherboard needed to be switched from using the SATA Express Ports to the slot for an M.2 drive.

So while my catalog was on a second SSD which is back in my computer and is still the Q: drive, the software is reporting "could not connect to net.tcp://localhost:8083/Service. . . . TCP error code 10061: no connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:8083 . . . .

I think my only hope is to somehow get the original SSD plugged into my motherboard and boot from that. Then open the Daminion Server Software and follow the directions to move the catalog to a new computer.

USAFRet

Titan
I really wish I had cloned to a larger SSD instead of the M.2 drive. I opted to have a computer repair company in town clone the drive and make the BIOS changes for me to get the computer to boot from the M.2 drive (my ASUS motherboard needed to be switched from using the SATA Express Ports to the slot for an M.2 drive.

So while my catalog was on a second SSD which is back in my computer and is still the Q: drive, the software is reporting "could not connect to net.tcp://localhost:8083/Service. . . . TCP error code 10061: no connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:8083 . . . .

I think my only hope is to somehow get the original SSD plugged into my motherboard and boot from that. Then open the Daminion Server Software and follow the directions to move the catalog to a new computer.
Larger SSD or NVMe....should make NO difference.

So, lets analyze.

Original:
SSD = OS drive + Daminion Server. This was the C drive.
Some other physical drive was the catalog location. The D drive.

Now:
NVMe = OS drive + Daminion Server. This was the C drive.
Some other physical drive was the catalog location. The D drive. Is this still the case....the other drive is still the D?
If so, there should be no problem.

All that happened was moving the contents of the SSD to the NVMe. Done correctly, nothing else should have been impacted.

Can you give us a screencap of your DIsk Management window..

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, putting the old drive back in should work.
Maybe.

Syrphid

Prominent
Oct 26, 2021
I think the problem is that the regular Daminion software has a limit on the number of photos in one catalog. I license my photos to publishers and needed an unlimited catalog so I opted for the server version installed on my computer, not a server. It's been working fine for years. Now the software is reporting a TCP error code and that the server can't be reached on the 8083 port. I'll admit I have no idea what to do with that information.

The new M.2 drive is C:, the old SSD is not installed anymore, the SSD with the catalog is still Q: