[SOLVED] Cloned Win 10 not working properly ( Can't update/reset/ fresh install )

HLR619

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Hi

I will try to keep this as short as possible but considering my issue and the fixes i have already tried, I believe it is necessary that I mention everything.

So I installed an nvme SSD a few days ago and decided to clone Windows from HDD to the SSD.

I used AOEMI backupper's Clone Windows option to do so. Once done, I quick formatted the windows partition on the HDD.

I was able to successfully boot up using the cloned Windows on the SSD and running the same one right now.

Then, I decided to update my system . It failed. So I decided to reset my PC and then that didn't work either. I got the "no changes were made" error. Tried the refresh tool ; same result.

Finally, I decided to create a USB boot-able device to do a fresh install ; I didn't want to initially and that's the reason I cloned my windows in the first place.

To my surprise, when I booted up the USB, it got stuck in a restart loop. My screen would flash for a sec on the Gigabyte logo, stay there for a few seconds and then restart.

I tried changing my BIOS setting ( UEFI/ Legacy) , Tried downloading ISO and using Rufus. Nothing has worked.

And I can feel my system isn't as fast as it should be considering its running on a brand new SSD. I was even getting freezes while playing games that used to run fine earlier.

So, now I am stuck with a version of windows that isn't working properly and isn't gonna get updated, and something goes wrong with my system, I cant restore it either.

I would just like to do a fresh install on my SSD and clean up my HDD partition which had Windows on it; because even though its empty it still shows up as a Windows boot-able device in the BIOS.

I'm not sure if I was able to explain my issue clearly or not, since I spent my entire weekend trying to fix this and am fed up. But I will do my best to provide any additional info if needed.

Please help me out.

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model: AB350M-Gaming 3

BIOS: F22 (type: UEFI)

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor (12 CPUs), ~3.2GHz

Memory: 16384MB RAM

Solution
You have a tonne of BIOS updates to go through. Gradually work your way from F22 to the latest, i.e, F23>F25>F30>F31>F40>F41, I can't recommend any higher since they are Beta'ish BIOS.

You should be on version 20H2, meaning instead of cloning the drive, you should've just reinstalled the OS from scratch, after creating your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools. Once you've reinstalled the OS, make sure you've installed all drivers relevant to your platform in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Lutfij

Titan
You have a tonne of BIOS updates to go through. Gradually work your way from F22 to the latest, i.e, F23>F25>F30>F31>F40>F41, I can't recommend any higher since they are Beta'ish BIOS.

You should be on version 20H2, meaning instead of cloning the drive, you should've just reinstalled the OS from scratch, after creating your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools. Once you've reinstalled the OS, make sure you've installed all drivers relevant to your platform in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Solution

HLR619

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Thanks for such a quick response. I understand that I should have done a fresh install to begin with. Also, I had not updated to 20H2, was/am running 1909.

I tried flashing my BIOS but that was directly to F30 and didnt work; I couldnt locate the file on the USB while I was in the BIOS setup.
I'm gonna do it in the sequence you mentioned and let you know if something changes. Thanks.

Also tried Gigabytes BIOS app , but it couldnt find an update for my Mobo on any of the listed servers.