[SOLVED] Cloning a failing hard drive to ssd

May 10, 2021
My hard drive is currently failing. I'm trying to replace it with an SSD. This hard drive is my main drive (OS C: ) what happens if I don't clone it to my SSD? Are there any programs that will help me clone my hard drive to my SSD? Can you clone a failing drive? When I turned my laptop on today, it said fixing c drive.

Solution
My hard drive is currently failing. I'm trying to replace it with an SSD. This hard drive is my main drive (OS C: ) what happens if I don't clone it to my SSD? Are there any programs that will help me clone my hard drive to my SSD? Can you clone a failing drive? When I turned my laptop on today, it said fixing c drive.
Cloning a failing drive is hit or miss.
Either it fails...might not read all the way through.
Or it may just be moving corrupted data to a new drive.
Or it actually does work.

Does the OS eventually run?
How much space is consumed on the current C drive?
What SSD size/make/model are you getting?

USAFRet

Titan
Cloning a failing drive is hit or miss.
Either it fails...might not read all the way through.
Or it may just be moving corrupted data to a new drive.
Or it actually does work.

Solution
Can you clone a failing drive? When I turned my laptop on today, it said fixing c drive.
Can you show screenshot from HDtune health?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Chkdsk running before loading windows doesn't mean the drive is failing. It just means - possible file system corruption may have occurred.
Quite possible it's not failing. Get the screenshot first.

You can clone with Macrium Reflect.

Pretty much every ssd maker website has a tool section that has some version of a cloning tool, samsung has a tool called data migration.

May 10, 2021
[/QUOTE]
My laptop got past that fixing screen and it's running fine. I have 717 GB free of 913 GB. I'm currently looking at a few SSDs Seagate Firecuda 510 m.2, Samsung 860 Evo, Seagate Barracuda 120 2.5 SATA. I'm trying to find one that's compatible with my laptop.

My laptop got past that fixing screen and it's running fine. I have 717 GB free of 913 GB. I'm currently looking at a few SSDs Seagate Firecuda 510 m.2, Samsung 860 Evo, Seagate Barracuda 120 2.5 SATA. I'm trying to find one that's compatible with my laptop.
[/QUOTE]
Keep it simple.
Shop for a 2.5 ssd at least 500GB.
Clone hdd to ssd.
Remove hdd install ssd.