Question Cloning and upgrading windows xp to windows 7

Mar 11, 2019
I have a windows xp laptop that I do not want to mess with at all because he has very useful software on it. But I would I Like to clone the hard drive and put that cloned drive into a new system. Then upgrade the windows xp to windows 7. I have a feeling the putting the cloned xp ssd into a new computer is not going to work out very well for me, is there anything I can do to get around this? I do not want to upgrade or risk the laptop at all.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You can't simply upgrade from XP to Win 7, anyway. You could upgrade from XP to Vista and then Vista to Win 7. All of this also depends on whether your XP install is 32-bit (common) or 64-bit (uncommon) as there is no upgrade path for any 32-bit version of Windows to any 64-bit version.

XP can also be VERY picky recognizing hardware when trying to move it. You can initiate a XP to Vista upgrade, and then change the hardware midstream (when the install requires the first restart) to get around the hardware changes.

As noted earlier, you need the appropriate licenses, as well.

If you move a Windows XP disk to another computer, be prepared to get endless looping reboots or blue screen of death (BSOD).
The main error you will encounter will be STOP 0x7B error (related to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers), when XP tries to load the wrong hard drive controller driver.

You might get around some of those BSODs by going to the Control Panel and removing all hardware related to the old system, then power off and remove the hard drive.

Then make sure to have the XP drivers for the system where you moving the hard drive.

As stated above there could be license issues if you are running two system with one license.

I suggest you perform a Windows 7 clean install.

Mar 11, 2019
You can't simply upgrade from XP to Win 7, anyway. You could upgrade from XP to Vista and then Vista to Win 7. All of this also depends on whether your XP install is 32-bit (common) or 64-bit (uncommon) as there is no upgrade path for any 32-bit version of Windows to any 64-bit version.

XP can also be VERY picky recognizing hardware when trying to move it. You can initiate a XP to Vista upgrade, and then change the hardware midstream (when the install requires the first restart) to get around the hardware changes.

As noted earlier, you need the appropriate licenses, as well.
If I clone the drive and then used that drive in that computer to upgrade from windows cap to vista update the hard ware drives and then updated from vista to 7 would that work out?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If I clone the drive and then used that drive in that computer to upgrade from windows XP to vista update the hard ware drives and then updated from vista to 7 would that work out?
Yes, but when you upgrade the XP license to Vista, the XP license can't legally be re-used. Same goes for the move from Vista to Win 7. If you intend to keep using the XP license, you'll need 2 XP licenses to start from.

Mar 11, 2019
Each laptop has its own windows do license on the bottom, that should work. Can I upgrade xp-vista-7 and keep the program working with out worrying about re installing it and or corrupting it.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
In theory, yes, your programs, files, and settings should carry forward. This may not be true for all apps, if they are too old.

What specific apps/programs are you concerned about?

Are you using XP Home or Pro? That will also impact what your upgrade path is (what versions of Vista and eventually Win 7 you'll need licenses for).

Mar 11, 2019
In theory, yes, your programs, files, and settings should carry forward. This may not be true for all apps, if they are too old.

What specific apps/programs are you concerned about?

Are you using XP Home or Pro? That will also impact what your upgrade path is (what versions of Vista and eventually Win 7 you'll need licenses for).
I will check tomorrow, something tells me this is going to a difficult road... if I can get the hard drive cloned will it prompt me to put in another licsense on the new computer ?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
XP may not boot at all on another system, as previously mentioned. The "donor" and "target" systems need to be VERY similar. You clone and then start the upgrade process with the original hardware. You swap hardware at the first restart during the upgrade install. You'll need the Vista license during that phase.