Question Cloning from SSD to SSD M.2 Windows is not booting on new laptop, but booting on old one

Jan 1, 2023
Hello everyone, It's my first post but I'm looking for any help as I'm fighting with this problem for couple of days now.

In Short, my father got old laptop that is running slow and will not accept Win11, I've managed to buy him a new laptop BUT has Hard drive in M.2 connector, so I Can't just move the SSD

To be easier operate
Laptop 1 - Old Laptop with SATA SSD
Laptop 2 - New Laptop with SSD M.2 2280

So far what I've done is clone the drive using Macrium, cloning was performed on Laptop 1 as on Laptop 2 Macrium can't see M.2 drive even after loading driver. I took it out the M.2 drive fitted into SATA to M.2 adapter plugin in via USB and performed cloning, that was 100% completed with no errors. After that I've put M.2 back to Laptop 2 and unfortunately Windows can't boot, BUT if I'll put M.2 drive into SATA adapter and plug in directly to motherboard of Laptop 1 (swapping drives) Windows is booting fine???!! I've tried using different cloning software (Paragon Hard Disk Manager), with the same result.

Another try was using Macrium on Laptop 2 with added driver for M.2 and SSD drive attached via USB, Cloning was 100% with no errors BUT after rebooting laptop to see if Windows will boot I've got error

Windows Boot Manager
Info: There is an invalid object in the Boot Configuration Data store.

Also what I've noticed that after cloning using Macrium on source disk EFI partition (FAT32) is using 499MB from 500MB, but on destination disk EFI (FAAT32) is using only 13.8MB from 500MB, while seting up the cloning proces I didn't change anything.

I just want to know what I'm doing wrong, as it's starting to annoy me that I can't do somethnig for couple of days that should take only 1-2h

Any help and directions will by much appreciated

kanewolf

Titan
Hello everyone, It's my first post but I'm looking for any help as I'm fighting with this problem for couple of days now.

In Short, my father got old laptop that is running slow and will not accept Win11, I've managed to buy him a new laptop BUT has Hard drive in M.2 connector, so I Can't just move the SSD

To be easier operate
Laptop 1 - Old Laptop with SATA SSD
Laptop 2 - New Laptop with SSD M.2 2280

So far what I've done is clone the drive using Macrium, cloning was performed on Laptop 1 as on Laptop 2 Macrium can't see M.2 drive even after loading driver. I took it out the M.2 drive fitted into SATA to M.2 adapter plugin in via USB and performed cloning, that was 100% completed with no errors. After that I've put M.2 back to Laptop 2 and unfortunately Windows can't boot, BUT if I'll put M.2 drive into SATA adapter and plug in directly to motherboard of Laptop 1 (swapping drives) Windows is booting fine???!! I've tried using different cloning software (Paragon Hard Disk Manager), with the same result.

Another try was using Macrium on Laptop 2 with added driver for M.2 and SSD drive attached via USB, Cloning was 100% with no errors BUT after rebooting laptop to see if Windows will boot I've got error

Windows Boot Manager
Info: There is an invalid object in the Boot Configuration Data store.

Also what I've noticed that after cloning using Macrium on source disk EFI partition (FAT32) is using 499MB from 500MB, but on destination disk EFI (FAAT32) is using only 13.8MB from 500MB, while seting up the cloning proces I didn't change anything.

I just want to know what I'm doing wrong, as it's starting to annoy me that I can't do somethnig for couple of days that should take only 1-2h

Any help and directions will by much appreciated
It is not unexpected that Windows does not boot on different hardware.

Reactions: Luk45z

USAFRet

Titan
You're attempting to use a clone of the old laptop, in the new laptop?
And it fails?

Very typical, especially between laptops.
And between different generation laptops? Almost a certain fail.

Solution?
Simply install the needed software in the new laptop, with its original OS.

Jan 1, 2023
You're attempting to use a clone of the old laptop, in the new laptop?
And it fails?

Very typical, especially between laptops.
And between different generation laptops? Almost a certain fail.

Solution?
Simply install the needed software in the new laptop, with its original OS.

Well if I wanted a clean instal then I would do that, but my father is using few application for his business and won't be easy to move them from old laptop to new, that is why I'm trying to figure out how to move data/Windows from old laptop to new one.

kanewolf

Titan
Well if I wanted a clean instal then I would do that, but my father is using few application for his business and won't be easy to move them from old laptop to new, that is why I'm trying to figure out how to move data/Windows from old laptop to new one.
You will have to export/backup the data from those applications and move it to a new installation. Laptops have specialized hardware that is not compatible between generations.
You are most likely out of luck in moving the old hard drive image.

Jan 1, 2023
You will have to export/backup the data from those applications and move it to a new installation. Laptops have specialized hardware that is not compatible between generations.
You are most likely out of luck in moving the old hard drive image.

Ok, I'll have to look into it. I not my father will have to use two laptops lol. Any way thank you for your help.

USAFRet

Titan
'won't be easy' does not mean 'impossible'.

There is no real Magic Pill for moving a Windows OS between systems.

Best way forward:
Export the data from the old applications, and Import that data into new installs of that same application in the new laptop.

Or...
The Paid version of Macrium Reflect has a ReDeploy function. This may work to generalize the install enough to work on different hardware.
This may or may not work.
Only try this with a 100% clone of the original source drive, not the original one and only drive.. Don't put your original drive and software at risk.