Question Cloning HDD to new SSD

Aug 18, 2022
i bought a new ssd and i want to clone my os from my hdd to it. i've been using an unactivated version of windows 10 and was unsure if that will cause any issues with the cloning process and after. i also don't need my entire drive cloned and was wondering how i can just move the os and some other applications and then just use the hdd as storage afterwards

Aug 18, 2022
Windows activation doesn't impact cloning.

You clone entire partitions. You can't clone just part of a partition.
Please show screenshot from Disk Management.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

What is model/capacity of the new SSD?

alright, so i can just wipe/format the old drive and move whatever files i want back and forth afterward?

View: https://imgur.com/a/i87Ni2X

the ssd is a crucial mx500 2.5in
1000gb

alright, so i can just wipe/format the old drive and move whatever files i want back and forth afterward?

May not be understanding your intent, but a clone would typically include all files on the source drive (Windows, installed applications, personal data files, etc). The target drive would be a replica of it. Shouldn't be any reason to have to later move anything.

The clone could always fail of course. In which case you go to Plan B.

If the clone succeeds, yes you can wipe the old drive and do whatever you want with it.

1. First initialize new drive to GPT. If you partition it to MBR, then clone result will not be bootable.
  2. Then clone entire contents (each and every partition) of HDD to SSD. Used space o C: is 535GB, so everything fits on target drive easy.
  3. Then you have to boot from new drive with old drive physically disconnected (this is an important step, do not skip this).
After you have verified, your system boots normally from the new drive, you can clean old drive and repartition/reformat it.

1. First initialize new drive to GPT. If you partition it to MBR, then clone result will not be bootable.
  2. Then clone entire contents (each and every partition) of HDD to SSD. Used space o C: is 535GB, so everything fits on target drive easy.
  3. Then you have to boot from new drive with old drive physically disconnected (this is an important step, do not skip this).
After you have verified, your system boots normally from the new drive, you can clean old drive and repartition/reformat it.
Are you replying to a different thread here?!
How did you figure out that he uses GPT now? If he uses MBR now it wont boot if he changes to GPT.

Aug 18, 2022
sounds good, thanks for your help, definitely cleared up some of my confusion and concerns, i will give this a try tomorrow when i get up

Aug 18, 2022
so i was starting the process of selecting the drive clone destination when this popped up, should i be concerned?
View: https://imgur.com/a/kPj9bAA