Question Cloning just OS to an SSD?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
So I've had my SSD for a few months now, but I keep putting off trying to transfer my OS to it. For now, it's got SLOBS, Origin, Apex, and Discord on it. I've got roughly 400GB of space remaining on it, but have more than that on my current (and very old) hard drive. Is there a way to just transfer Win10 without the rest?

Zer0b1ade

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016
And for an ever increasing number of systems, there is no DVD drive.
the link I gave tells you how to convert mbr to gpt. I'm not against USB I used to use it before win 10 as well. I just now have a disc laying around while my USB drives are repurposed for other things and having a USB with gpt on it would mess with boot up I'd imagine, just preference is all. I think you can mount an iso while in windows for the installation via win 10s virtual drive. Copy and paste it onto a drive and run the gpt as you would the bootsect from command prompt.

USAFRet

Titan
the link I gave tells you how to convert mbr to gpt. I'm not against USB I used to use it before win 10 as well. I just now have a disc laying around while my USB drives are repurposed for other things and having a USB with gpt on it would mess with boot up I'd imagine, just preference is all. I think you can mount an iso while in windows for the installation via win 10s virtual drive. Copy and paste it onto a drive and run the gpt as you would the bootsect from command prompt.
Mounting an ISO from within a running Windows install has nothing to do with booting from a properly constructed DVD or USB, and installing a clean OS.

And in any case, this has gone far astray of what the OP's original 'problem' might be.

Reactions: Zer0b1ade
So, after a bit of research, it seems you're not completely off your rocker and no, I did not read whatever was at the link you pointed to. The plain fact is, that if you manually create a USB installer, you may encounter the problem you describe with the installation media partition type being a problem, HOWEVER, that is not how media should be created ANYHOW so it's a moot point.

There is NO reason to not use the Windows media creation tool, for ALL installation media creation (Unless you are doing something exotic, and that is not what THIS discussion is about), in which case this problem does not exist. You will never encounter this problem with the partition type issue on the installer media if you use the Microsoft creation tool. So, you are right, but you are wrong.

Zer0b1ade

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016
So, after a bit of research, it seems you're not completely off your rocker and no, I did not read whatever was at the link you pointed to. The plain fact is, that if you manually create a USB installer, you may encounter the problem you describe with the installation media partition type being a problem, HOWEVER, that is not how media should be created ANYHOW so it's a moot point.

There is NO reason to not use the Windows media creation tool, for ALL installation media creation (Unless you are doing something exotic, and that is not what THIS discussion is about), in which case this problem does not exist. You will never encounter this problem with the partition type issue on the installer media if you use the Microsoft creation tool. So, you are right, but you are wrong.
I'll take that, but Microsoft troubleshooting guide does say something about converting mbr of a flash drive to gpt or use the uefi iso. Funny thing is the tool they say to use isnt "from" Microsoft Haha I'm getting off topic, I'll shut up till the person with the question gives us an update.

Honestly, I've done maybe 80-100 unique installations of Windows 10, not counting those that have been done twice on the same system for one reason or another. In every case, except one (Where a dual OS boot was required) I have used the Microsoft media creation tool and have never experienced ANY of the complaints I see from some people about "it doesn't work" or "it won't download" or "I can't complete the media creation" or a few others.

In ALL those cases, I have to believe those people are simply, I won't say too stupid (Even though I just did), but challenged, or they have some other problem working against them, because myself and everybody else I have talked to regarding this issue have all never had any issues creating or installing using the Microsoft supplied media creation tool and then installing. Doesn't matter whether it's in legacy or UEFI mode, it still works fine.

Now, if it's a dual boot configuration, that's a different story and I agree you are going to need third party software usually. But mostly that doesn't tend to be the case, and is not (apparently) the case, in THIS case.

Nice to see that Rufus actually supports the official ISO now though.

Reactions: DMAN999 and USAFRet

USAFRet

Titan

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
No more problem, sorry for necro post. I got the SSD to properly function as my boot drive via Disk Management/cloning w/ easeus. Macrium didn't want to work but Easeus did it perfectly. Cut startup times by a solid 75%.