Question Cloning Multiple Hard Drives

Feb 17, 2023
I’m looking for assistance with cloning multiple hard drives. I have 15 laptops that require monthly bios security and software updates. It takes roughly 1-3 hours to complete one computer. My question revolves around speeding up this process. Someone told me that I could just clone the hard drives. I’m trying to determine what would be needed for this process. I’ve seen online cloning hardware but it appears they’re designed to duplicate one drive onto an empty drive. Is it possible to have one updated hard drive duplicated onto 14 other hard drives that are not empty? What would be the easiest/quickest way to accomplish this?

USAFRet

Titan
I’m looking for assistance with cloning multiple hard drives. I have 15 laptops that require monthly bios security and software updates. It takes roughly 1-3 hours to complete one computer. My question revolves around speeding up this process. Someone told me that I could just clone the hard drives. I’m trying to determine what would be needed for this process. I’ve seen online cloning hardware but it appears they’re designed to duplicate one drive onto an empty drive. Is it possible to have one updated hard drive duplicated onto 14 other hard drives that are not empty? What would be the easiest/quickest way to accomplish this?
Cloning has nothing to do with applying updates.
And especially nothing to do with the BIOS.

"1-3 hours to complete one computer"
Why can't these be done in parallel?

Feb 17, 2023
Cloning has nothing to do with applying updates.
And especially nothing to do with the BIOS.

"1-3 hours to complete one computer"
Why can't these be done in parallel?

They cannot be connected to any network. The instructions given to me for the security updates require me to download from a military computer, burn to a CD, execute the update from the CD, reboot from that CD, remove the portable disc drive, and then reboot again. The software updates are similar without rebooting. I’ll look up doing them in parallel now but is it possible if they’re not connected to a network?

USAFRet

Titan
They cannot be connected to any network. The instructions given to me for the security updates require me to download from a military computer, burn to a CD, execute the update from the CD, reboot from that CD, remove the portable disc drive, and then reboot again. The software updates are similar without rebooting. I’ll look up doing them in parallel now but is it possible if they’re not connected to a network?
Well, this is where a full set of limitations and requirements come in.

We out here have NO idea of the limitations of your environment.
"The instructions given to me for the security updates require me to download from a military computer"
I suggest you ask the people where this comes from. Ask them how to make this routine update go faster.

'in parallel' might simply mean burning a bunch of CDs and starting them all at sort of the same time.