Question Cloning New SSD for New Build Question

Jeff1960

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
Hello friends,

I am ready to start my new build but before I do, I have some concerns that I could use your support with.

I cloned my SSD from my old system (500gb to a 2tb SSD) to install in my new system. Once the build is complete and I turn on the system for the first time, what will I need to do other than update the drivers for the GPU? It has been 7 years since my last build so I am a little vague on the process.

Thank you for the support.

Jeff

USAFRet

Titan
Hello friends,

I am ready to start my new build but before I do, I have some concerns that I could use your support with.

I cloned my SSD from my old system (500gb to a 2tb SSD) to install in my new system. Once the build is complete and I turn on the system for the first time, what will I need to do other than update the drivers for the GPU? It has been 7 years since my last build so I am a little vague on the process.

Thank you for the support.

Jeff
Assuming this is a whole different motherboard, you will probably need to do a full OS reinstall.
NOT just a clone of the old system.

OS, drivers, applications, everything.

Jeff1960

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
Yes, everything is new including motherboard.

So my OS (Windows 10) will need to be replaced? Can I just go to Microsoft and download from their website? I want to keep Windows 10 for now until I know everything is working as if it was my old system.

Thank you,

Jeff

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, everything is new including motherboard.

So my OS (Windows 10) will need to be replaced? Can I just go to Microsoft and download from their website? I want to keep Windows 10 for now until I know everything is working as if it was my old system.

Thank you,

Jeff

Jeff1960

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
Thank you for the information.

So my new 2tb SSD that I cloned from my old 500 gb SSD system was a waste (shame on me, Lol). Now that I did that, how can I wipe it clean and just install it in my new build as a factory clean SSD and just start the new OS install.

I am concerned that if I put the new SSD into the enclosure I used to clone it and attach it to my current system via USB, there might be conflicts? Or will my system just recognize it as a new drive? And therefore I can delete everything I cloned?

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you for the information.

So my new 2tb SSD that I cloned from my old 500 gb SSD system was a waste (shame on me, Lol). Now that I did that, how can I wipe it clean and just install it in my new build as a factory clean SSD and just start the new OS install.

I am concerned that if I put the new SSD into the enclosure I used to clone it and attach it to my current system via USB, there might be conflicts? Or will my system just recognize it as a new drive? And therefore I can delete everything I cloned?
In the new system, put it in.

Boot from the Win 10 install USB you'll create, and follow that tutorial.

Section II, Steps 6 & 7 speak to deleting all partitions on the desired dive, and continuing on.

Of course, have only ONE drive physically connected when you do this install.