Question Cloning old version of windows 10 on Intel gen 11th Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2022
I have an old HDD with windows 10 on it and I want to clone on the new NVM laptop that has 11th gen i5 how can i manually install the NVM drivers before i make the clone ?

Because Windows was not designed to be portable in that manner, especially if/when the difference in hardware is as great as it is here. Even if it does somehow work you will be chasing problems for weeks/months/forever. Clean installation on new hardware is always called for. In addition it's more than likely that what you have on that HDD is OEM and the license will be locked to the original hardware.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
A) Windows 10 has native nvme drivers built in, so there is no need to install them
B) If you want to get the windows version from the laptop onto the old HDD, then erase it and clone/backup the OS from the lappy to it
C) If you are trying to go the other way, find the W10 license key on the HDD, do the clean install on the lappy, then use that key to activate it... but as already noted, this probably won't work if that OS was an OEM version, which is locked to whatever machine it was on originally...

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Because Windows was not designed to be portable in that manner, especially if/when the difference in hardware is as great as it is here. Even if it does somehow work you will be chasing problems for weeks/months/forever. Clean installation on new hardware is always called for. In addition it's more than likely that what you have on that HDD is OEM and the license will be locked to the original hardware.

This. I've never been able to successfully clone OS from older hard drive to newer ones. Doesn't matter whether it was from the same machine / different machine. I don't know if it's bad luck, but I had issues ranging from Windows license not being "read" properly, performance problems, or computers outright refusing to boot.

For me cloning OSes is like a gamble that I always ended up losing. If you can reinstall your software and the drivers are available, I'd elect a clean Windows install. Yes, it takes longer, but saves you the headache....

USAFRet

Titan
I have an old HDD with windows 10 on it and I want to clone on the new NVM laptop that has 11th gen i5 how can i manually install the NVM drivers before i make the clone ?
This is doomed to fail.

A Windows install is not as modular as we'd all like.

Trying this, there are 3 possibilities:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

Moving between old and new laptops is a strong chance of #2, slight chance of #3.
Moving from an old desktop to a new laptop.....#2.

The new laptop came with its own OS?
Just install whatever applications you use and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.