Question Cloning secondary monitor with TV causes primary 144hz monitor to lock at 60hz

Jul 3, 2020
As the title says, when i clone my secondary monitor with my TV it causes my primary 144hz monitor to lock at 60hz. The problem only occurs when cloning my 60hz monitor to the TV and not when using them as three separate monitors. Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening and maybe have a solution?

When you Duplicate (clone) a display, instead of choosing Extend Displays, the resolution and refresh rate is locked to the lowest spec display.

only when extending the displays, can you use different resolutions and different refresh rates.

EDIT:
when i Duplicate my main 144Hz 1440p monitor with my 1080p 60Hz TV, my main 1440p display is locked to 1080p @ 60 Hz as well.
Using extended display option, I can have my main monitor at 1440p @ 144hz and my tv at 1080p @ 60Hz simoultaniously.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020
When you Duplicate (clone) a display, instead of choosing Extend Displays, the resolution and refresh rate is locked to the lowest spec monitor.

only when extending display, can you use different resolutions and different refresh rates.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I was maybe not perfectly clear. I know the secondary 60hz monitor and the TV will share resolution and refresh rates, but the problem is that my primary 144hz monitor which is not cloned is also locked at 60hz. The primary monitor keeps its 1440p resolution while the two cloned monitors have 1080p resolutions but they all share a 60hz refresh rate.

If it matters the 144hz monitor is connected with DisplayPort, secondary monitor by HDMI, and the TV is connected with an HDMI cable with a DisplayPort adapter to the computer.