Question cloning SSD windows wont boot

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
hi, a friend of mein have asus FX505 laptop with AMD 3700 cpu. i have same laptop with i5 9300.

he is in another city and he asked me to help him change his 256gb ssd to a 1TB model.
here is what we did (i am helping him remotely online with ANYDESK application) :
first, cloned the old ssd to internal HDD (this laptop also have a hdd as well)

then, opened the laptop, and removed the old ssd.

then installed new ssd an turn it on with new ssd+internal HDD so that IF windows boot up, i clone it once more from HDD to New ssd and then wipe out the HDD... BUT system wont boot at all and stuck on asus logo without being able to enter BIOS.
(pressing F2 doesnt work and yes i am sure f2 is the bios key)

then we took out new ssd and tried booting with HDD. it works fine but really slow.

<<<<now here is the problem>>>>
then after retry insertion of the new ssd, same problem persist (stuck on asus logo) BUT next time i took out the new ssd , it wont work not only with hdd but also with old ssd. i get error massage saying windows cant find proper boot device etc etc....

we tried restoring bios to default settings. its not working.

1- can anyone help me to at least boot this laptop on old ssd ?

2- why new ssd Stuck on asus Logo?

USAFRet

Titan
how so? i don't think that there be another way of cloning since that laptop offers 1 nvme slot and one SATA
There is absolutely a different way, that probably would have worked.

An Image, not a Clone from 1 to 2 to a new 3.

--------------------------------------------------
1x m.2 slot with an Image

Assuming you have another drive (any type of drive) with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current m.2 drive:

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks". Create this on a small USB flash drive or DVD.
3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
4. When done, power OFF.
5. Swap the 2 drives
6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
7. Restore (on the toolbar), and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
9. That's all...this should work.

But if the original drive and config is now unbootable, you're pretty much out of luck.

Reactions: .valkyrie.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
There is absolutely a different way, that probably would have worked.

An Image, not a Clone from 1 to 2 to a new 3.

1x m.2 slot with an Image

Assuming you have another drive (any type of drive) with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current m.2 drive:

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks". Create this on a small USB flash drive or DVD.
3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
4. When done, power OFF.
5. Swap the 2 drives
6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
7. Restore (on the toolbar), and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
9. That's all...this should work.

But if the original drive and config is now unbootable, you're pretty much out of luck.
yea , i wonder why... i didnt change anything on old ssd.
so what caused such problem? it even worked once and everything was Ok. it seems there is something wrong with 2nd ssd.

what can i do now?

Last edited:

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Unlikely that is the problem.
ok then how to be sure of that? like removing Sata HDD, and just keeping SN570 ssd to see if it pass asus logo? never seen such problem before!
also
i have read all the manual for asus fx 505D (there are 3 like dt , dd, du)
no limitations mentioned!

i am saying this because once i had a Lenovo V15 laptop that something like a 512 gb limitations mentioned on Manual but i never tried it , so thats why i thought of this

USAFRet

Titan
ok then how to be sure of that? like removing Sata HDD, and just keeping SN570 ssd to see if it pass asus logo? never seen such problem before!
also
i have read all the manual for asus fx 505D (there are 3 like dt , dd, du)
no limitations mentioned!

i am saying this because once i had a Lenovo V15 laptop that something like a 512 gb limitations mentioned on Manual but i never tried it , so thats why i thought of this
Given all the wrong steps taken, I find little way to move forward other than a full OS install.

How to know if a 1TB drive will work?
Create a new Win 10 install USB, and go through the whole install.
Do this with only that one drive physically connected.

That previous Lenovo stating that 512GB is the max?
That is likely only what it came with, and only what was generally available at the time of printing. It would almost certainly work with larger.

Reactions: .valkyrie.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Given all the wrong steps taken, I find little way to move forward other than a full OS install.

How to know if a 1TB drive will work?
Create a new Win 10 install USB, and go through the whole install.
Do this with only that one drive physically connected.

That previous Lenovo stating that 512GB is the max?
That is likely only what it came with, and only what was generally available at the time of printing. It would almost certainly work with larger.

i just installed new ssd and a bootable USB flash with windows 11.... same problem. stuck on ASUS logo and bios wont work as well