Cloning storage-only drive to new disk, swapping out ?

usr1235

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
I have my OS on a small SSD (C) and a TB HDD (D) for storage, software, etc. I only use about 200 gb of the tb at any time, if I have some big games installed (obviously overestimated my storage needs!).

I just purchased a 500 gb samsung 850 evo ssd that I'd like to put into that same role. The tb hdd is old, probably about 5 years. Ideally I'm hoping I can just clone what's on the hdd to the ssd, have the ssd step right in as the D:, and format and remap the HDD. If not I know I can just put it in, move the files, and reinstall the software.

I think with the samsung migration software it'd be easy to clone the contents of the old drive to the new. My question is how to get the os to recognize it as the D:. I ask because I assume the installed programs won't run unless it does, or I'd have to edit the windows registry? I'm thinking clone the drive, unplug the hdd, plug in the ssd, and make sure it maps as D. Is that all? Will that work? Then I'd stick the hdd back in and call it F or something.

Solution
For a secondary drive, either cloning or just copy/paste will work.

If you copy/paste, do NOT do it all at once. 1 top level folder at a time.
Or the clone thing via Samsung Data Migration or Macrium Reflect.

After, Disk Management will let you swap the drive letters around as needed.

USAFRet

Titan
For a secondary drive, either cloning or just copy/paste will work.

If you copy/paste, do NOT do it all at once. 1 top level folder at a time.
Or the clone thing via Samsung Data Migration or Macrium Reflect.

After, Disk Management will let you swap the drive letters around as needed.

Solution