[SOLVED] Cloning windows 11 to a different ssd keeps failing

Nov 10, 2021
I recently bought a Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb to put windows on it. Im using the data migration tool from Samsung to move windows from my sata ssd to the new one and every time it gets to 99% then says, “the data migration function has been interrupted for an unknown reason”.

Solution
What drive are you cloning from?
How much space is consumed on the Source drive?

As mentioned above, try a different tool.
Thusly:

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If...
Nov 10, 2021
I recently bought a Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb to put windows on it. Im using the data migration tool from Samsung to move windows from my sata ssd to the new one and every time it gets to 99% then says, “the data migration function has been interrupted for an unknown reason”.

USAFRet

Titan

Thusly:

Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Power up

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution
Nov 10, 2021
Try some other tool.
Macrium reflect free,
Minitool Partiotion wizard free.
I used the macrium reflect tool before I installed the Samsung one and it worked, the problem is that it partitioned the drive for no reason. So I had windows on the new ssd but it created a partition the exact size of my windows drive and left the other 700gb unallocated.

Nov 10, 2021

Thusly:

Power off
Power up

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.
I’m cloning from a sata a ssd which is 222gb with 55gb free. I wasn’t aware you needed drivers for m.2 ssds where can I find them?

USAFRet

Titan
As a functionality test, try a basic WIndows install on this new drive.
Just to see what happens.

Have ONLY the 980 Pro installed.

Nov 10, 2021

Alright. Do you think it would make life easier to just fresh install windows on the 980 and copy all of the programs on my old windows ssd over? Was trying to use a migrate tool because I wanted all my windows settings to stay as well as desktop shortcuts. But at this point just considering a fresh install entirely

Nov 10, 2021

Also not sure if you saw my reply to the other person but windows did successfully install using the macrium software. The problem is that it created a separate partition on the drive for windows. Is there a fix for that?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Also not sure if you saw my reply to the other guy but windows did successfully install using the macrium software. The problem is that it created a separate partition on the drive for windows. Is there a fix for that?
Ah, so the clone did work?

Please show a screencap of your resulting Disk Management window.

The middle section of that above tutorial referred to managing the partition size on the Destination drive.

Nov 10, 2021
Ah, so the clone did work?

Please show a screencap of your resulting Disk Management window.

The middle section of that above tutorial referred to managing the partition size on the Destination drive.
Yes it did. Sorry I must’ve skipped past that part. I’m going to rerun the macrium cloning process and try your above method for the partition fix. Also under the Samsung driver install they list that windows 7, 8 and 10 are compatible but it looks like they didn’t mention windows 11 being compatible.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes it did. Sorry I must’ve skipped past that part. I’m going to rerun the macrium cloning process and try your above method for the partition fix. Also under the Samsung driver install they list that windows 7, 8 and 10 are compatible but it looks like they didn’t mention windows 11 being compatible.
Given Win 11, it should include the NVMe drive by default. Probably don't ned to install it on its own.

Nov 10, 2021
Given Win 11, it should include the NVMe drive by default. Probably don't ned to install it on its own.
Gotcha. Now I’m a bit confused on how to fix the partition problem. Was I supposed to do the above method before I installed windows? Where is “cloned partition properties”? Is that in disk management in windows or in macrium?

USAFRet

Titan
Gotcha. Now I’m a bit confused on how to fix the partition problem. Was I supposed to do the above method before I installed windows? Where is “cloned partition properties”? Is that in disk management in windows or in macrium?
“cloned partition properties”
That is in Macrium, before you click the button to clone.

You can adjust the size of the C partition, to consume all the available space.

Specifically, Step 4 here:
http://reflect.macrium.com/help/v5/how_to/backup/clone_a_disk.htm

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021

Oh.. so is it to late to fix the partition? I’m going to send a photo of what I’m talking about just to make sure we’re talking about the same thing.

Specifically, Step 4 here:
http://reflect.macrium.com/help/v5/how_to/backup/clone_a_disk.htm
ok I think I understand now. So Ill have to delete the clone I just installed and redo it with the correct settings.

USAFRet

Titan
As mentioned in the above steps.....only the Sorce and Target drive connected.
All the others just confuses the situation.

On the Destination drive, remove the 5th partition, 555.7MB - 63BMB.
You should then be able to adjust the 4th partition, the C, to consume that big blank space to the right.