[SOLVED] [CLOSED] Fallout 4 at 4K medium settings

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
So I've been playing Fallout 4 at 4K medium settings on an i3-6100 and it's been lagging. I think the culprit is the CPU since I've been hearing the CPU fan whine up and it's output is hot while the GPU (output) is slightly warmer than room temperature. On that assumption I bought an AMD Ryzen 2nd Gen 5 2600 - 3.9 GHz Six Core Processor YD2600BBM6IAF by itself (no heat-sink).

For now I've come up https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/LrGHJb which I didn't include memory because for now I have I have GPR416GB3000C15ADC GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model which I'll sell not long after my new system is running; the delay in getting new memory and is 1-2 days ago there was some 16 Gb 3600 ~20% cheaper so I'd keep an eye for some.

What do you think about what I plan to buy?

Update 1:
There's no use for this thread anymore, see post #10 for details. I've put the prefix closed to the title as there was no post in it that solved my problem (from which I would've used "Mark as best answer" instead).

Last edited:
Solution
Perhaps you missed my question: What do you think about what I plan to buy?
I guess that depends on which hardware you are buying, and what you have now. Are you buying an RX 590, or is that your existing card? What are the specifications of your current system, and will you be bringing any of that hardware over? When you initially asked the question, it wasn't entirely clear if you might have just been upgrading the parts needed to make the new processor work with your existing hardware.

A Ryzen 2600 will likely be a decent upgrade over an i3-6100 for many recent games, as the i3's lack of cores and threads is going to hurt performance in many newer titles. And the motherboard should be compatible.

If you do pick up new...
If your existing RAM works fine, I would probably just stick with that. DDR4-3000 is a decent enough speed, and it's unlikely that you will manage to get DDR4-3600 stable at full speed on 2nd-gen Ryzen anyway. Even if you did, it's not going to make that much of a performance difference in games, or most other tasks, for that matter.

At 4K, I would expect the graphics hardware to be limiting performance more often than not in recent demanding games, though it's a little difficult to tell how much that might be the case at "medium" settings.

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I need to get some memory for the system I'll sell anyway, it might as well be better than what I got and sell the old thing anyway; I was trying to let people know it's not an oversight. Perhaps you missed my question: What do you think about what I plan to buy?

Perhaps you missed my question: What do you think about what I plan to buy?
I guess that depends on which hardware you are buying, and what you have now. Are you buying an RX 590, or is that your existing card? What are the specifications of your current system, and will you be bringing any of that hardware over? When you initially asked the question, it wasn't entirely clear if you might have just been upgrading the parts needed to make the new processor work with your existing hardware.

A Ryzen 2600 will likely be a decent upgrade over an i3-6100 for many recent games, as the i3's lack of cores and threads is going to hurt performance in many newer titles. And the motherboard should be compatible.

If you do pick up new RAM, just make sure you get a 2-stick kit and install it in the proper slots to enable dual-channel memory for optimal performance. Faster RAM might help performance a little, but don't be surprised if you need to run it at DDR4-3200 speed with a 2000-series processor.

Solution

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
All the parts of my current system dates > 3 years except the GPU. The 2600 is being shipped to the Global Shipping Centre. Luckily the i3 can support graphics on its own so I don't have to buy a replacement GPU to sell the system.

Just to be clear: the GPU & CPU in what I'm thinking of buying are only there to check for compatibility, they are bought. The memory will be bought later, hopefully within 1 week.

So I've been playing Fallout 4 at 4K medium settings on an i3-6100 and it's been lagging. I think the culprit is the CPU since I've been hearing the CPU fan whine up and it's output is hot while the GPU (output) is slightly warmer than room temperature. On that assumption I bought an AMD Ryzen 2nd Gen 5 2600 - 3.9 GHz Six Core Processor YD2600BBM6IAF by itself (no heat-sink).

For now I've come up https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/LrGHJb which I didn't include memory because for now I have I have GPR416GB3000C15ADC GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model which I'll sell not long after my new system is running; the delay in getting new memory and is 1-2 days ago there was some 16 Gb 3600 ~20% cheaper so I'd keep an eye for some.

What do you think about what I plan to buy?
You will most probably see zero benefit in fallout 4, it's a very single threaded game.
If you don't get good FPS especially at 4k I would suspect it's about either the main or the GPU ram not being enough.
About your CPU revving up open task manager and see what's running there might be some background task messing things up.

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
In that case, is there a way to have the other threads help the single one being used? Or create a virtual thread out of multiple ones, kind of like multiple people pulling on a rope, or pushing on a single rod. I hope the new system help with FO4, at least a bit. Or perhaps with Skyrim or Doom 2016.

Well, it's already on its way and I might as well finish up the system. It would likely help with my browsing; I've experienced slow downs. Hopefully with the sale of my old system, it won't end up costing me too much (on my limited budget).

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Here's what I got :
  • ASRock B450M PRO4 Socket AM4 | Dual Channel, PCIe 3.0, 2xM.2 | USB 3.1, DVI-D, HDMI, D-Sub, RGB mATX Motherboard
  • WDS500G2B0C: WD Blue SN550 500GB M.2 NVMe PCI-E Read:2400 MB/s Write:1750 MB/s Solid State Drive
  • RR-HT2-28PK-R1: Cooler Master Hyper T2 CPU Cooler, Intel: LGA 1150/1155/1156/775 and AMD: FM2+/FM2/FM1/AM3+/AM3/AM2+/AM2