CloudFTP Turns USB Drives Into Wireless Cloud Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Yeah right. This sure beats having a local USB stick for storage.
/end sarcasm

I wish Tom's would stop harping with these stupid cloud advertisments.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
seriously they ship with a single SSID to make it difficult for beginners to implement more than one... Not to mention the standard IP address of many Consumer routers that will need to be changed before hooking up to the network

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]jgutz2006[/nom]seriously they ship with a single SSID to make it difficult for beginners to implement more than one... Not to mention the standard IP address of many Consumer routers that will need to be changed before hooking up to the network[/citation]
The IP address is because by default it doesn't connect to your network, it creates an ad-hoc network of it's own to have devices connect. As for the name I think it is just cheaper to have them all programmed with the same information then to customize it to have different names for each one, kind of like every D-Link router has the default name of dlink for wireless network.

stinkyfax

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
since when network drivers are clouds? Oh wait a moment, we can call any service Cloud, starting from email POP because it's pretty much the definition of fancy Cloud decade

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
$100 for this device is asking WAY too much when you can buy very capable full-fledged routers with USB/print support for less money. At, say, $20 + $10 per USB port, it would be a much more compelling option. I'd rather have a Raspberry Pi ($25) and a USB Wi-Fi dongle ($7) than this thing.

adamcox27

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Hmmm... OKay. So I could get a EyeFi with a static 8gb and is exclusive to SD form-factor. OR.. I could get a AirStash and put an SD card into it. OR.. I could get this device and a USB memory card reader and access an SD card, or USB stick, or USB hard drive by wireless network. I think it's easy to see that having a Wifi capable USB receptor could have many uses. EyeFi? NO! AirStash? NO! CloudFTP. Si!!!

Adam (http://adamcox.net)

Status
Not open for further replies.