CMD BCDedit Error - "The system cannot find the file specified". Please help!

Ben Ryder

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
I'm currently having an issue with CS:GO where I'd recieve an error related to an issue with my system. According to Valve, this can be fixed by; enabling DEP, enabling kernal integrity and disabling kernal debugging.

However, all of these actions requires the use of the bcdedit function in the Command Prompt. I am asked to input the following commands:

bcdedit /deletevalue nointegritychecks
bcdedit /deletevalue loadoptions
bcdedit /debug off
bcdedit /deletevalue nx

Unfortunately, when I try with every one of these commands, I receive the error message:

An error occurred while attempting to reference the specified entry.
The system cannot find the file specified

I have tried enabling DEP through the "System Properties" window, however upon restart it appears there has been no change made.

I am sure many of you can understand the frustration of being unable to play your favorite game. Any help would by greatly appreciated.

Sorry to start with a such a basic question but did you input the commands in bulk form or one at a time, hitting the Enter key after typing the command? What happens when you just type bcedit and bnit Enter?

Did you open the Command Prompt with Administrator privileges?

Ben Ryder

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015

Yes. It is opened with elevated privledges with admin in System32, all written as single commands.

Entering just "bcdedit" returns the Boot Loader and Boot Manager stats. Bnit isn't recognised

Ben Ryder

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015

Hahaha! 'deletevalue' DOES exist. I'm not the only person in the world following Valve's guide and I'm 100% certain it addresses Windows 7 users. I'm not sure if you've heard of "Valve" or "Steam" before but it is a large company that makes and distributes video games for your computer.

You will see for yourself if you write "bcdedit /?" in console. Deletevalue is listed as a possible options.

Entering bcdedit/ bootdebug only returns: "The parameters are not valid"

Yes, I have heard of Steam and I looked at the Valve site before posting. My version of Windows 7 Home Premium does not show that option in a bcdedit /? search because I tried it before putting my second post and have just re-checked. I see only eleven options - if you can see it does it only show under one of the other sub-menus? If so, that needs to be included in the path.

Ben Ryder

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015

Thanks for the reply. It shows under the "Commands that operate on entry options" heading, however I doubt that is a path. I'm not sure where to find the sub-menu, however.

Ben Ryder

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015

Hahaha. There always has to be a problem with the fix to another problem when it comes to this computer. Thanks in advance.