[SOLVED] CMD shuts down immediately and explorer.exe wont start automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2019
So today i went ahead and powered on my pc . I logged into my admin profile and i get a black screen with just my cursor on it(Also there is a CMD window popping up but it closes so fast that i can't read what it says). I pressed ctrl+alt+del to change to another user, and the other profile worked just fine. The CMD and the explorer.exe launched. So, I started searching for the answer on the internet . I went ahead and got into safe mode by holding down shift and the restart button while I was on the ctrl+alt+del screen. Same thing happend. I was on low res as well. I then run explorer.exe from my task manager and that seemed to have fixed the problem . But then when i restarted I had the same problem. I have disabled all the startup processes. Then I run explorer.exe again, but this time I went ahead to test if my CMD worked, as I had a bad feeling about it . It ofcourse would just open and close , as one problem is never enough for me :( . I am 99.9% sure it has to do something with my registry as I have faced this problem before. (Not with the black screen thought). If you can help me I would really appreciate it :). Oh btw I downloaded something yesterday, that could have possibly caused the problem. Although it seems a little weird that my other accounts work just fine. Also I can launch the program that i downloaded yesterday just fine.

Edit: Oh, and ofcourse sfc in powershell did nothing XD

Last edited:
Solution
IF YOU GET A BLACK SCREEN WHEN YOU LOG IN:
Step 1: Press ctrl + alt + delete
Step 2: Open task manager
Step 3: On the top left corner click on the button named "File"
Step 4: Click on "New Task" or something like that
Step 5: When a small window pops up type "explorer.exe"

FOR THE CMD CLOSING IMMEDIATELY:

Step 1: Press Win + R
Step 2: Type in the box "regedit" (without the "")
Step 3: Go to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor"
Step 4: Delete the AutoRun key

SOURCE:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZiQ4bPgwVk

FOR THE EXPLORER.EXE NOT STARTING DURING LOG IN:

Step 3: Go TO...
Sep 12, 2019
malware scan your system?
create new admin account?

1.Nope , nothing shows up with the scans. Used both Kaspersky and Malwarebytes
2.Yes true. I already have another admin account. But I really wanted to find a solution to keep this one (my original).

Do you think it's my account that's causing the problem ?

Sep 12, 2019
And the other admin account works?
Could be corrupt profile, back drivers, startup programs, etc

Yep. Magically the other admin account works. Can't be startup programs, can it ? I have disabled all of them and also my other account has the same programs in it. Yes I was thinking of the same think about the corrupted account , but it works when I launch explorer.exe from the task manager. It's just that the CMD doesn't work. Last time that my CMD did this , it was a malware that had change my registry . Actually I think it was a bitcoin miner virus. But I fixed it. But now it's just different . It doesn't seem to be a bitcoin virus , I mean, I could be completely wrong though

Sep 12, 2019
Well, I found the problem with the CMD not opening. As I mentioned I had the feeling that it was something on my registry, so I run the regedit command and went to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor , and deleted the AutoRun 'file' in there. That fixed the problem. It was the exact same virus that i had before. As I said it was a bitcoin miner virus. I will restart now to see if this fixed the explorer.exe problem. Updates incoming.

EDIT No 1: OK, very interesting. So now when I log in the CMD doesn't just close automatically anymore. Also it is launched with admin rights. I can't really explain that so well. But explorer.exe still doesn't launch. Hmmm very intriguing. I will update when I find a solution. If I find a solution.

EDIT No2: ----- YEAH !!! FIXED IT. Another value in my reg was messed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 12, 2019
IF YOU GET A BLACK SCREEN WHEN YOU LOG IN:
Step 1: Press ctrl + alt + delete
Step 2: Open task manager
Step 3: On the top left corner click on the button named "File"
Step 4: Click on "New Task" or something like that
Step 5: When a small window pops up type "explorer.exe"

FOR THE CMD CLOSING IMMEDIATELY:

Step 3: Go to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor"
Step 4: Delete the AutoRun key

SOURCE:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZiQ4bPgwVk

FOR THE EXPLORER.EXE NOT STARTING DURING LOG IN:

Step 3: Go TO "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon "
Step 4: IF there is a key named "Shell" delete it

AND

Step 5: Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon "
Step 6: Double click the "Shell" key
Step 7: The value should be explorer.exe , if it's not change it to explorer.exe

SOURCE: https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...-prompt/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-12161540

Have a nice day !!!

Last edited:
Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

Messing with the registry is never a good idea and those are just Band-Aids not real faxes. If you have been infected with viruses your best bet is to back up your data and do a clean install nuke and pave format

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Status
Not open for further replies.