CML174 problem. Please help.

oskis

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
So I just got this LCD everybody talks about, Hitachis CML174. Well I got a really annoying problem, the colors are darker at the top of the screen, and it doesn't matter how I look at it. Either it is darker at the top or lighter at the bottom. This is very noticable, for example if you compare the title bar and the task bar, they are very different shades.

Another problem is the colors, the dark colors are too dark and the bright colors are too bright to make it simple.

Does anyone else have the same problem, or is the montior defect?

/oskis

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
my CML174 is somewhat darker near the top, I just tilted the bottom away from me and I don't really notice it as much now. You probably just have to tweak the contrast and brightness in the OSD, and probably in the drivers too. I tweaked both to get things the way I wanted.
If that does help then maybe your screen is fuxed

Gosh I'm such a nerd sometimes, but then again arn't we all. :smile:

oskis

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
Please tell me what your settings are, I'm really not good at this. :)

And what drivers are you talking about? You mean the drivers to the graphic card?

/oskis

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
it ain't fuxx0red:), it's just b/c the bad viewing angles. One will notice there are multiple cases of this posted at thg- it's cause the actual rating of the panel is 140º, which isn't that good for such a large monitor- on a 15" it would have been ok, but not on a 17".

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

yodaa

Distinguished
May 12, 2003
i have noticed the same thing on my monitor...Any other users can confirm that it is a "factory feature" ? (i mean something that all units have) Or should i ask for a replacement?
I have a friend who has this cml174 too and i've noticed the same thing too...And the review on anandtech says they noticed a "bright patch" in the bottom of the screen...So i assume its a (minor) flaw in the design...
Great monitor anyway !