Question cmos battery battery dead again after 2 weeks, I am changing cmos battery every 2 weeks, what to do now?

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Motherboard: asus a320m k prime
psu: ant vs400l
storage: nmve drive 500 gb
ram: 8×2 GB
How have you determined that the batteries are dead. I suspect something else. The battery life of a CR2032 battery is essentially the same as its shelf life. Measure the battery voltage. It should be about 3.2 volts.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
All batteries are not created equal. Just the opposite. Alkaline high discharge batteries like standard Energiser don't last as long as cheaper Heavy Duty batteries, which are designed for more sustained period use. E-batteries, designed for electronics use, are better yet as they are designed for lengthy discharge at relatively small amperage draw.

There's a switch on your motherboard. When you disengage All power, the switch disengages and allows the battery to power the bios chip. If there is any power whatsoever in the pc, meaning if the psu is plugged in and the switch in the On position, the psu is responsible for bios chip. Regardless if Windows is actively On or whether the PC is actively On or not.

There's enough power in a standard CR2032 to maintain a bios uncorrupted for @ 6 months or more. So if your battery is dying in far less time than that, you have a motherboard issue where that switch is not working correctly and it's allowing psu voltage to siphon off the charge/overcharge the battery and killing it.

Reactions: rocker50
Aug 18, 2023
All batteries are not created equal. Just the opposite. Alkaline high discharge batteries like standard Energiser don't last as long as cheaper Heavy Duty batteries, which are designed for more sustained period use. E-batteries, designed for electronics use, are better yet as they are designed for lengthy discharge at relatively small amperage draw.

There's a switch on your motherboard. When you disengage All power, the switch disengages and allows the battery to power the bios chip. If there is any power whatsoever in the pc, meaning if the psu is plugged in and the switch in the On position, the psu is responsible for bios chip. Regardless if Windows is actively On or whether the PC is actively On or not.

There's enough power in a standard CR2032 to maintain a bios uncorrupted for @ 6 months or more. So if your battery is dying in far less time than that, you have a motherboard issue where that switch is not working correctly and it's allowing psu voltage to siphon off the charge/overcharge the battery and killing it.
I bought these from amazon. link - https://amzn.eu/d/3GuWoPH

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Unless you are measuring the battery voltage, you can't be sure the battery voltage is low. The amount of current drawn by CMOS is negligible to the point that the battery life in a pc is essentially the same as it would be if it were still on the shelf. I suspect you're problem(s) are caused by something else.