Question CMOS battery in my laptop?

RickVS

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
I have an LG 13Z990 Gram laptop. It is 5 years old and is only used a couple times a year for conferences so it rests dead without power most of the time. Today I booted it up and had a couple of issues:

1) every web site I would try to navigate to, no matter the browser, would show as insecure and I couldn't browse to it. I couldn't figure out a way to recover from it. I couldn't even use Google to try to figure it out.

2) the time and date was from last October when I last used the laptop. I assumed that the CMOS battery was dead so I popped the cover and figured it would be right there. It was not. Google doesn't even help me when I try to find out if this laptop even HAS a CMOS battery and I had no luck trying to find a Youtube video to replace it. Ebay also doesn't list any CMOS batteries for this laptop for sale.

Any thoughts on next steps in terms of both of these issues? Many thanks.

Bonus question: Is there any way on this website for me to see my previous posts? I assumed it would be there when clicking on my name but nope. I can't figure it out.

Thanks again.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
  1. Browser probably needs updating. Could also be browser set to “https only” in its settings.
  2. Did you try updating the date/time, then leaving it on AC power for a little while to see if this fixed itself? Some laptops retain cmos settings via an on-board capacitor of sorts, which tops up when it’s being charged/used.

RickVS

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
Thanks. It happens with Chrome, Edge and FireFox. So I don't think it's a browser settings issue. I can try charging the battery and see if it makes a difference. While I can change the computer date, I didn't see an option to 'save' the change. And I didn't see the option to change the time. Clicking on it didn't do anything.

RickVS

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
So charging the laptop fixed all of the problems. Thanks.

One last thing. I'm getting a second SSD for the computer (there are two bays, one of which has a 250 Gb drive. I have a 1 Tb drive arriving tomorrow morning. Do you think the position of the drives make any difference? Right now the smaller drive is in the left slot. I would like to move the OS to the new large drive. Should I put the larger drive in the left slot as that will be the primary or doesn't it really matter? Thanks again.