Question CMOS Checksum Bad and USB Over Current Status

Mar 25, 2023
Hello, I'm new this forum, so sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this in. I have a problem when booting my Dad's computer built circa 2008. I have both the errors CMOS Checksum Bad and USB Device Over Current Status. The CMOS error I can fix, but the USB one I cannot. Here's what caused the error:

1. I started up the computer and it worked as usual, and I plugged in a PS/2 keyboard and USB mouse.
  2. The computer shutdown immediately.
  3. I started it back up and got the USB device over current status error.
  4. I looked up some tutorials on youtube and decided to take out the cmos battery and put it back in, but it gave me that CMOS error.
  5. I unplugged front panel connectors, and jumped the pc.
  6. It still displayed the same errors.
  7. I checked the USB ports to see if any metal got into them, but they looked fine.

Is the USB hub completely fried and cannot be replaced through means soldering or some other way I don't know of?
Please help
CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850
Motherboard: Asus P5K Deluxe
PSU: Thermaltake TR-2 500watt (around the same age as the pc, which is 14 years)
RAM: (4x1) OCZ DDR3 RAM (2) and Unknown brand name RAM ddr3 (2), which all makes up 4gb RAM.
GPU: Asus GT 240
HDD: 250gb HDD that's dying.

Mar 25, 2023
Also, can anyone recommend a good ddr3 lga 775 motherboard if the motherboard is unusable.

Edit: support for SLI or crossfire is great as well No sli or crossfire but good for cpu overclock. I don't want to sell the parts btw.

Last edited: