Cmos checksum error persists

greyfox1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
mobo: NF-980-G65
cpu: phenom II 955
ram: G.skill 2gb DDR3 1333mhz x4
HDD: WD 320gb (boot drive)/ hitachi 1tb (data)
Disk Drive: LG blu-ray
PSU: Corsair tx750w
GPU: gtx 460 768mb x2
HSF: corsair H50

Had the CPU OC'd @ 3.8ghz and the GPU OC'd by 10%
A few days ago the PC just shut off while playing skyrim...no BSOD. It then kept crashing during windows start up or the welcome screen, basically the PC started shutting off after a few seconds of being turned on. It didn't matter if it was during start up or even in the bios menu. The clearest error I can pinpoint is a checksum error. I already replaced the cmos battery to no avail. I ruled out every piece but the MOBO and CPU.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

greyfox1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
the PC doesn't stay on long enough to give me a chance.

nvm, i managed to get in bios long enough to save it on default setting but it still shuts off after a few seconds of turning on.

greyfox1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
ya I pinpointed it to the motherboard but I'm not exactly sure what the problem is.

However, I've tested every other piece and they are working fine so I guess it's time to RMA the motherboard.

Try a 'Proper' Clear CMOS procedure (Jumper method is most common; see -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

IF that fails then 60% bad MOBO, 30% bad RAM, 10% bad CPU.

You can try Lazyman's Breadboard -
* Disconnect ALL Front Panel & USB Headers ; keep only the PWR & Ground <best> short w/wire.
* Disconnect ALL peripherals including the Keyboard/Mouse
* (1) Stick of RAM in the second DIMM slot from CPU
* Unscrew both the MOBO and PCIe screws

Pull the MOBO away from anything conductive and supported by a towel ; short PWR & Ground to start.