CNC HDD repair - windows '95

Sailor__67

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
I believe I have a failing hard drive. It is for a CNC Machining Center running Win 95 on a 2.5 ide HDD (started with runtime error and some garbled text, now bluescreen on startup)

The problem is that it is for a CNC Machining Center running Win '95 on an IDE 2.5 drive.
The Machine Control builder (Mitsubishi) have quoted me thousands to send the drive and control unit overseas for diagnosis & reload of the proprietary control software to new drive.

I think it may just be a win 95 OS file corruption issue, as I have removed the CNC HDD to an external case, can access the files that seem fine.. and have used easeUS cloning program to make a sector by sector image to my laptop.

If the problem lies with the HDD OS, then, theoretically the CNC control software on the drives could be fine? and if I can repair the assumedly corrupt win 95 OS files, then clone to a similar ide 2.5 HDD, then theoretically I can be back in business saving thousands and weeks of shipping & down time!

I guess my question is as follows:

- Can I somehow repair the OS on the CNC drive while externally connected as slave drive to my laptop

- alternately, can I get hold of win 95 boot / repair disks and repair it in situ in the CNC machine (has floppy drive). I thought boot disks had to be made from the actual pc? Are 3rd party ones available / downloadable, and are they likely to work in this instance?