Coaxial to Ethernet Adaptor?

JeffoMcSpeffo

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017
So I'm planning on building a PC, and the motherboard that I was looking at does not have a WiFi antenna. Now I already have the internet set up with a modem and router plugged into a coaxial cable going into the wall in my living room. There is, however, another coaxial cable coming out of the wall in my room. I figured I may as well make use of it and use it for a hardwired connection. Which brings me to my first question, can I do this? The motherboard has an Ethernet jack, so is there an adapter or some sort of way to connect the coaxial cable straight to my PC? To be honest I may already have such an adapter, as TWC gave me a bunch of junk when I first signed up, but I am currently 1000 miles away from my place. I just wanted to see if such a connection is possible before I move on with my PC build.

Solution
Yes such products are available. E.g.,:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0ED-0011-00002

However, before purchasing anything I recommend that you trace the coax wiring to be sure where all of the cables go and what may or may not be connectable. Look at the distances involved as well.

Consider powerline adapters as another option.

Overall all the best connectvity would be a Cat5e or Cat 6 ethernet cable between your PC and router. The simpler the setup the better.

Especially if you can drill some holes and run the cable as neccessary within your place.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes such products are available. E.g.,:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0ED-0011-00002

However, before purchasing anything I recommend that you trace the coax wiring to be sure where all of the cables go and what may or may not be connectable. Look at the distances involved as well.

Consider powerline adapters as another option.

Overall all the best connectvity would be a Cat5e or Cat 6 ethernet cable between your PC and router. The simpler the setup the better.

Especially if you can drill some holes and run the cable as neccessary within your place.

Solution