Code D0 on Motherboard, PC Unable to Boot

Cem Goker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
I have been having this issue every time I boot the PC. Sometimes it would go from 63-69 to 9A and it would stop there, and at times, it would go to 99, A2, and boot up properly. When the PC does boot up properly, it will shutdown on its own in 15-30 minutes whether I game or not. One of the workaround to the problem was to open the side panel and press the reset button on the motherboard till different post code values other than D0 showed up. All the fans connected to the motherboard work.

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI Z87M Gaming
CPU: Intel i5-4590
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 Quiet Edition
GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
RAM: 8 GB ( Dual Channel)
Storage: 1 SSD (OS), 2 HDD (Storage and Gaming)
PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 EVO 620W Fully Modular
Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Things I have tried:
- clearing CMOS
- reading the MSI Manual book and finding out its Late CPU Initialization
- removing and plugging the battery of the motherboard back after 15 minutes
- checked CPU socket for any bent pins (which there weren't any upon extensive searching) and reinstalled CPU
- removed, re-plugged, and tightened the 8 pin, 24 pin, and GPU cables on PSU and the motherboard
- booting up with 1 RAM stick, switching slots for Dual Channel, no RAM (no beep sound)

This PC has been working for more than 3 years now, but the problem started occuring about 2 weeks ago. I am not really sure what is really wrong with my PC, but I am suspecting it to be a PSU problem. When I try to boot up and get D0, there are also times when the PC would shut off immediately, then power up a few seconds later. Additionally, about 6-8 months ago, I would hear consistent zapping sounds coming from the PSU when Black Desert Online loads up the map. But I am not really sure at this point. The zapping sounds have disappeared a few months after.

Here is a screenshot of my Voltage readings on the [strike]PSU[/strike] system.

I am all ears and open to any help or suggestions as I am not exactly sure what is causing this issue. I also forgot to mention that if by miracle the PC boots normally without shutting down, it just works like it should and I could use the PC as long as I want without it causing any errors (in fact the PC was running for 12 hours straight yesterday).

Solution
First I can't open the PSU voltages readings, because I don't allow to open any those sites in my office PC. But if those voltages are within +/- 5% ranges, eg for +3.3V, if the reading is within 3.1V to 3.45V, the PSU should be fine.

And you may check the MB BIOS version, just make sure the MB had the newer one at least 1.2 or up, because the i5 4590 is Haswell-Refresh series Processors.

The Late CPU Initialization related to MB or cpu.
First I can't open the PSU voltages readings, because I don't allow to open any those sites in my office PC. But if those voltages are within +/- 5% ranges, eg for +3.3V, if the reading is within 3.1V to 3.45V, the PSU should be fine.

And you may check the MB BIOS version, just make sure the MB had the newer one at least 1.2 or up, because the i5 4590 is Haswell-Refresh series Processors.

The Late CPU Initialization related to MB or cpu.

Solution

Cem Goker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013

You are absolutely right about it! My BIOS was at version 1.4, so I flashed the latest BIOS and everything is back to normal now. Thanks a lot!