[SOLVED] Coffee impacted laptop stopped booting after 2 days.

Aug 31, 2020
Hey,

My friend (who's illiterate when it comes to any electronics) spilled coffee on his laptop, he put it into the rice for one day and after that laptop worked fine for 2 days, today he can't boot the system "No bootable device - please restart".

Now I'm not an expert, especially with laptops - I think the fragile HDD/SSD (not sure what he's got) got a bit of that moisture and died. What's the best step now?
Should I tell him to put it into rice for longer first? What's the easiest way (without buying new drive and reinstalling system) to check what's broken in it and if it's salvageable?

Solution
Rice is OK for taking our moisture, but not really for laptops or for spills like coffee or soda that have sugar and other ingredients that leave deposits on the system. What should have been done is the thing needs to be taken apart and cleaned from inside out. When this is done you can remove the drive and try it as a secondary in another system although you may need adapters for it depending on what other systems are available.
Rice is OK for taking our moisture, but not really for laptops or for spills like coffee or soda that have sugar and other ingredients that leave deposits on the system. What should have been done is the thing needs to be taken apart and cleaned from inside out. When this is done you can remove the drive and try it as a secondary in another system although you may need adapters for it depending on what other systems are available.

Solution