Question Coil whine from my 7800 XT ?

Alectrona

Great
Jan 15, 2024
Hello, I've got a quick question. I've noticed a slight coil whine coming from my 7800 XT. It typically occurs in more graphically intensive games rather than in games where I am pushing a high frame rate. I am questioning if this is normal because typically I've only seen coil whine be an issue on other cards when I am pushing high frame rates.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
GPU coil whine is normal. Though, it depends on GPU and some are more prone to it than others. Also, load on GPU can matter as well.

Nothing to do about it. Only either: replace the GPU or increase white noise, so that the coil whine is masked into it and you don't hear it.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Hey there,

Try setting an FPS limit either per game or globally. This can sometimes help reduce the level of coil whine. Experiment with and see if it helps.

Coil whine is normal, but normally heard. It does not affect performance and does not cause any damage to components.

If the GPU is new enough and under warranty, the vendor may offer a replacement. You would have to check the warranty to be sure.