[SOLVED] Coil whine on PSU or GPU?

Blavikn

Prominent
Oct 30, 2021
I've had this PC since August and there appears to be a very faint static/electric noise coming from the PSU, unfortunately I couldn't catch the sound on video as its something you would have to hear at ear level.

The power supply I'm using is a Corsair TXM 750 Gold. I've had no issues with my PC so far and no reboots from nowhere but I'm concerned if it's failing. I checked coil whine videos and it doesn't sound like it. I unplugged fans to confirm it wasn't a bearing.

The best way to describe the noise is: when putting a disc into a console for the first time and the console starts reading the disc but very faint and static.

I then tried playing a game and the noise became a constant buzz, the noise can also be heard from the top of the case, jm just unsure where from.

Solution
Coil wine is not something that will hurt anything or doesn't mean that its going bad, it can get worse over time though, if its not loud enough to really bother you, I wouldn't worry about it, but if its pretty noisy, the only thing you can really do is replace the component that's making the noise.

Some work around you can do is limit the FPS in some games that cause it, most of the time its pretty audible in menus where FPS is crazy high.

Good luck!
electricity makes sound, its just 99.9% not hearable (outside of human hearing frequency), sometimes you can hear it when that sound wave gets reflected from some surface and sound wave deforms and then you hear it
there are dampening foams on market which helps

you can take you PC apart, spread it on table, then you will know which hardware makes that sound

Reactions: vladakv
Coil wine is not something that will hurt anything or doesn't mean that its going bad, it can get worse over time though, if its not loud enough to really bother you, I wouldn't worry about it, but if its pretty noisy, the only thing you can really do is replace the component that's making the noise.

Some work around you can do is limit the FPS in some games that cause it, most of the time its pretty audible in menus where FPS is crazy high.

Good luck!

Solution