Question Coil whine?

OnlyAlex

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
Hi everyone, is a little bit of cool whine okay? On my new Rog only on battery there is a bit of coil whine, other than that there’s no coil whine. It comes and goes too.

Coil whine

Obviously this was recorded extremely close to the laptop and isn’t this loud in person. Cheers!

Anon#1234

Proper
May 30, 2023
There isn’t an easy fix for coil whine, like an updated driver or a Windows setting. It’s a physical property of your graphics card (or any other component you can hear exhibiting the noise). The fixes for the problem, therefore, are going to be physical in nature. Some options include ensuring your case is tightly together, adding some soundproofing, limiting the framerate, playing the waiting game, replacing the part that whines, identifying what causes it, changing your fan speeds or dealing with it.

Noise cancelling headphones work pretty well in cancelling out high pitched frequencies so you might want to look into that.

Reactions: OnlyAlex
I just had a little review of the sound using Audacity. Almost had an accident, more of that later.
First, I couldn't hear any sound resembling typical coil whine. So I switched to spectrum view. Had a look at this, it could kind of look like there was a 15khz vague tone, so I taught maybe aging was preventing me from hearing that sound.

This was utterly stupid of me, because I had to test to disprove. How - In Audacity you can generate a tone of any frequency pretty easy, and I did so to a 15khz tone. BUT - I forgot to adjust the amplitude, so it felt like my ears shredded apart - quickly removing the head phones :fearscream:

But at least I've confirmed I'm pretty much able to listen to sounds at least 15khz :screamcat:

Ok, point is - I personally cannot hear any sound resembling coil whine. However it sounds more like you have a loud fan.

I just had a little review of the sound using Audacity. Almost had an accident, more of that later.
First, I couldn't hear any sound resembling typical coil whine. So I switched to spectrum view. Had a look at this, it could kind of look like there was a 15khz vague tone, so I taught maybe aging was preventing me from hearing that sound.

This was utterly stupid of me, because I had to test to disprove. How - In Audacity you can generate a tone of any frequency pretty easy, and I did so to a 15khz tone. BUT - I forgot to adjust the amplitude, so it felt like my ears shredded apart - quickly removing the head phones :fearscream:

But at least I've confirmed I'm pretty much able to listen to sounds at least 15khz :screamcat:

Ok, point is - I personally cannot hear any sound resembling coil whine. However it sounds more like you have a loud fan.

I agree. That doesn't sound like coil whine and seems normal for a laptop fan.

OnlyAlex

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
There isn’t an easy fix for coil whine, like an updated driver or a Windows setting. It’s a physical property of your graphics card (or any other component you can hear exhibiting the noise). The fixes for the problem, therefore, are going to be physical in nature. Some options include ensuring your case is tightly together, adding some soundproofing, limiting the framerate, playing the waiting game, replacing the part that whines, identifying what causes it, changing your fan speeds or dealing with it.

Noise cancelling headphones work pretty well in cancelling out high pitched frequencies so you might want to look into that.
Thank you.

OnlyAlex

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021

I agree. That doesn't sound like coil whine and seems normal for a laptop fan.
Thanks guys for looking into it for me, appreciate it! I’m pretty sure there is coil whine though as I’ve checked and heard this whine sound every now and again and the fans aren’t kicked in, like no RPM. Here’s another one where you can hear it better.
View: https://youtube.com/shorts/unQkJtNtimk?feature=share

Ok, this was a very different sound than the first one. With this, I'd agree it sounds more like coil whine - not one frequency but several that is mixed together.

This isn't anything you can do yourself, but at least you can document that the issue is real.

OnlyAlex

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
Ok, this was a very different sound than the first one. With this, I'd agree it sounds more like coil whine - not one frequency but several that is mixed together.

This isn't anything you can do yourself, but at least you can document that the issue is real.
Thank you. It is ok to have coil whine? It’s a new laptop.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
My Dell has bad coil whine, and it isn't even a gaming laptop. Every time the mouse is moved. So far so good, this is about 30 months old.

My desktop also has coil whine, and also when the mouse is moved, but also during high FPS output. But that comes with the territory of slapping a waterblock to a GPU.

OnlyAlex

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
My Dell has bad coil whine, and it isn't even a gaming laptop. Every time the mouse is moved. So far so good, this is about 30 months old.

My desktop also has coil whine, and also when the mouse is moved, but also during high FPS output. But that comes with the territory of slapping a waterblock to a GPU.
Seems pretty normal then, thanks for letting me know.

Anon#1234

Proper
May 30, 2023

You water cooled your pc, I NEED to see this.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You water cooled your pc, I NEED to see this.

Link to the build is in my signature. Strays a little from the norm of distro plates and hard tubing you find in a lot of builds, but I like the build process more than most, so I try to do challenging things. But I am also not after visual perfection and super amazing cooling results. Practicality usually comes first for me, and then aesthetics. But I did a water cooling build some years back, and since I have the parts, it is a smaller investment to keep doing it. Though the next one is going to be costly with a CPU and GPU block needed.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It doesn't really look like that in person, quite a bit darker. Camera is a bit sensitive to that color apparently or is picking up some infrared as well.

But I am a bit stuck with the non-RGB CPU block (though it does have white, red, and blue inserts to change the color) and the non-RGB strip on the Eisbaer. As I mentioned in the post, I do have an RGB strip that came with the old GPU block that I could potentially wire in.

RGB was never really my thing, but my last two motherboards have it and the GPU block. Loop is due for a topping off, so perhaps I will make an update fairly soon.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Also why the phantecks over noctuas?

Noctua doesn't really make a static pressure optimized 140mm fan. As with most companies, including Phanteks at this point, all make more hybrid airflow and static pressure fans. Not to say that their fans perform badly on radiators. At the time they were a good option.

They are decently performing fans for a lot less than Noctua. Also I bought these before the Redux or black fans were available if I recall. Might have come out around that time, still wouldn't have been a match. Noctua has not released a white bladed fan that I know of.

If I needed fans again, the Phanteks T30 is probably where I would look to. Basically a Noctua clone that is 5mm thicker and performs slightly better. But those are also only 120mm, so would require a radical redesign with new radiators.