Coldest CPU Temp

sunnudk87

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
Has anyone achieved CPU temperatures colder than 15 15 11 11 (C) for a quad core? If so, how did you do it? Is there a a huge performance difference if the system runs colder?

(The temperature was achieved as part of an experiment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21iajieA2WM)

Solution

Actually temperatures too cold can get you in cold bug territory and create boot problems until the CPUs heat can offset the cold enough to successfully boot, that's not something you'd want to be experiencing on an everyday basis.

I enjoyed the video thanks, I hope you did take away from it his comment on the condensation he experienced after bringing the computer back in the home, that could have destroyed his computer if he had booted before it had...

Actually temperatures too cold can get you in cold bug territory and create boot problems until the CPUs heat can offset the cold enough to successfully boot, that's not something you'd want to be experiencing on an everyday basis.

I enjoyed the video thanks, I hope you did take away from it his comment on the condensation he experienced after bringing the computer back in the home, that could have destroyed his computer if he had booted before it had dried out completely, which is one serious side effect of running below ambient temperatures to cool your computer.

His test did yield lower CPU core temperatures but his computer performance only changed 2 points and that little difference could have happened if the test was run a 2nd time before taking it outside the home, so all he got was lower temperature at a cost of zero performance increase.

Unless you are seriously overclocking your CPU and creating excessive heat in the process that needs to be dissipated there's no need for running temperatures that low for a regular computer, as all the computer designs from both Intel and AMD are designed to run in ambient room temperatures.

I personally have run water temperatures down to 8c and depending on the level of overclock that did not translate to an 8c CPU core temperature for sure, but I have been able to boast lower stress test load temperatures than most others Idle temperatures.

That's because I am running peltier cooling and have been experimenting running below ambient room temperature cooling for a long time.

But I am an overclocker that runs my CPU all cores overclocked 24/7 you can check my CPU-Z validation to see my present clock if you're curious.

You would to cool high overclocks, and for system longevity.

Solution

sunnudk87

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

"Generally speaking, the usual motivation for operating electronics at extreme temperatures is to improve the overall performance of a system, by having part of the system—an electronic subsystem—operate outside the usual temperature range. The subsystem itself may or may not have improved performance from operating at an extreme temperature."
"Another reason that electronics has been operated at low temperatures is improved performance of the cooled electronics itself. Improvement upon cooling results from a combination of effects: in general, transistors (field-effect types) exhibit increased gain and speed and lower leakage; also parasitic resistances and capacitances in interconnections decrease, heat transfer improves, and many devices exhibit lower noise."
http://www.extremetemperatureelectronics.com/tutorial1.html

Not just silicon in a computer.

sunnudk87

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

That setup is insane!! What do you use your computer for? Gaming? Rendering? o_O

Gaming, DVD Creation, Greeting Card Creation, DJ data base creation, Audio/Video encoding, Surfing the net etc., just a normal PC to me!, but insane ridiculous to my friends!, that's what can happen to you if you spend enough time here at THF! :)

Cooling wise it started out as an overclocking cooling experiment, and has now progressed to a 100% dependable peltier powered chilled water cooling system, with the peltier cooling now past a year in operation.

Thank You for the best answer selection! Ryan :)

sunnudk87

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

Damn.....I'm still in the process of building a machine for rendering 3d stuff and compiling a lot of code. I love how technology keeps coming out with new things to keep my wallet empty XD