Collection of Conroe Data. (Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme!)

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

frankstein

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
My CPU burned with motherboard!!! WHY ME??? What should i do now without u? :(

----------------------------------------------
stein@digitalhardcore.us

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
This is well the most pointlessly long thread ever.

There's no good reason for this to still be a sticky.

There was originally, but now everyone knows about Conroe.

He said 'still be a sticky.'

Yeah maybe when the Nahlem uarch (or maybe K8L) comes out we'll have another thread/sticky...That is if it's as good as it should be... And we'll be saying the same stuff a couple of months after its out.

Can we actually unsticky a sticky? :roll: :p :lol:

progrip

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
e6400 12% OC to 2.4ghz at vcore 1.3v

Using Zalman 9700, getting 37*C under load.

FSB - stock voltage
Northbridge - stock voltage
Southbridge - 1.52v
ddr2 - 2.12v

E6400
D975xbx2 mobo
Corsair xms2 pro series ddr2 800 (4-4-4-12)
ATI radeon x1650 pro (512mb ddr2)
Seagate 300gb sata2
antec earthwatts 500w psu
antec p180 case
pioneer dvd+-rw
zalman c9700 heatsink running at 2800 rpms

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
it seems once intel regains their superiority, thay ease up on the evolution of their product. I bet if amd makes a superior chip again, intel will put on the afterburners again.

And you see AMD doing better?? Releasing more versions is to differentiate market segments. It also seems multiple cores are in, so clock speed can't be ramped up so much.

BTW, the 3.0GHz Core 2 Duo is not the Extreme version, but a mainstream version.

Core 2 Duos coming:
E6850: 3.0GHz/1333FSB
E6750: 2.67GHz/1333FSB
E6650: 2.33GHz/1333FSB
E6800: 2.93GHz/1066FSB

What does "E" mean?? Its for mainstream. I'd expect E6800/6850 to be introduced at $530, and the lower models and current Core 2 Duos to be notched down in price by one.

The X6800 sounds like a very fast cpu,i have just bought all the parts for my new pc except the cpu,i am stuck at picking between the X6800 and the QX6700 quad core,where i live both cpu's are the same price,seen as how the QX6700 is 266mhz slower than the X6800,would i notest much less performance compared to the X6800

Eh, I don't like it either but both CPU companies are ramping to multiple cores too fast. The reason for reduced clock is to maintain reasonable power consumption. No you won't notice much reduced performance compared to X6800. Around 10% I'd say, but I still like X6800 better since its the fastest CPU that runs at 75W :p. You would get quad core with QX6700 though, so quad-core optimized apps will be much faster and you'll be able to run insane number of programs at once(useless to me, I don't even keep two IE browser tabs on most of the time, I close them lol).

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Robert,

Many will say the X6800 is the way to go...

I will say the opposite. Their reasoning for choosing a dual vs quad core is that current applications barely take advantage of dual cores let alone quad cores.

[SOAPBOX]

IN short - This logic is flawed especially if developers are utilizing a thread pool. I will not get into what that is but essentially many developers that are creating multi threaded applications will allow the application to use ALL available resources and NOT restrict them to just TWO.

In long ;),

Many of the games/applications that WILL be released will likely use as many cores as are available.

Since dual core is becoming very much the mainstream I would assume that many devs will soon be releasing software that make use of multiple cores.

PS... Very few devs in a SMP/multi core environment release code that specifically denotes which CPU/Core each part of the app should run on.

If they are, then they are very inefficient (very limited reasons to limit or direct portions of your app to run on a single proc. Like requiring full exclusive use of a resource). If people understood system context, process context, user mode and kernel mode as related to context switching they would likely revise their comments. They would also be wise to also understand the difference between user, system, interrupts and blocking, all of which happens quite efficiently at the OS/Kernel level.

Sorry about the SOAPBOX but many people here are talking down a processor as useless because it has two more cores (funny) if they only understood what was happening under the covers they would realize that the QX6700 has a LOT more to offer over the long haul.

[/SOAPBOX]

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
This thread, as great as it is, has served it's (pre-release) purpose. Please post new C2D articles/discussions as new threads.

Special thanks to iterations for a top notch thread and sticky! :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: