College Dorm Room with no ethernet ports, help?

Stephen58

Prominent
Jul 14, 2017
I am moving into a dorm that has no ethernet ports in it or even close to it. Students are expected to use the WiFi, but my new Phillips Hue Lights Hub only works if it is connected via ethernet cable. Is there anything I can do to get this to work perhaps a Router that connects to the WiFi and then I can run ethernet cables off of that or what? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Solution
It may be messy in a college since they many times have more security than just simple wireless.

What you want is called a "client-bridge". It is a simple box that connect to wireless and outputs ethernet. Many so called "extenders" can do this function and if you have a old router that can load dd-wrt you can set that mode also. They used to make simple client-bridge device for game consoles and TV that only have ethernet but they are harder to find since most those devices have wireless now days. You can still get outdoor versions from ubiquiti or engenius that will work fine indoors. Or you can just spend more and buy a "extender", "repeater" or what ever they call them just be sure it has a client-bridge mode you do not...
It may be messy in a college since they many times have more security than just simple wireless.

What you want is called a "client-bridge". It is a simple box that connect to wireless and outputs ethernet. Many so called "extenders" can do this function and if you have a old router that can load dd-wrt you can set that mode also. They used to make simple client-bridge device for game consoles and TV that only have ethernet but they are harder to find since most those devices have wireless now days. You can still get outdoor versions from ubiquiti or engenius that will work fine indoors. Or you can just spend more and buy a "extender", "repeater" or what ever they call them just be sure it has a client-bridge mode you do not want it transmitting a new wireless signal.

That said may colleges have a second level of security that force you to log into a account. Not sure how you can accomplish that with a light. Maybe you could somehow log in with a pc and then connect the light, depends how picky the college is in their security.

Solution