Review Colorful RTX 4090 Vulcan OC Review: The Kitchen Sink

Feb 18, 2022
You folks should do an article on how to buy Colorful products in the US - it seems super confusing and risky! Colorful makes some nice stuff, and the iGame Neptune OC 4090 is cool too, but for folks in the US (and Europe?) a review on a card like this is about as relevant as reading a review on a Chinese domestic market car when you're car shopping.

Reactions: Kridian

Vanderlindemedia

Prominent
Jul 15, 2022
In all the tests, none of the recent released 7900XTX / series of AMD are included, except for the noise test. There you'll see the 7900XTX in those graphs. Why is that? Now it looks like Nvidia is twice as fast as the whole AMD generation?

In all the tests, none of the recent released 7900XTX / series of AMD are included, except for the noise test. There you'll see the 7900XTX in those graphs. Why is that? Now it looks like Nvidia is twice as fast as the whole AMD generation?
Page 3:

"Please note that testing of the Colorful card was conducted on our standard test bed, a few weeks ago (around the time the RTX 4080 launch took over my free time). This is the same as the other 4090 cards, and not the new and improved test bed we used in the RX 7900 XTX / XT review. This was also before Fortnite broke our benchmarks and changed its settings, and the same for Forza Horizon 5 and Total War: Warhammer 3."

It's a third-party AIB card, and our standard is to mostly compare it to the reference card with the same GPU as well as any other AIB cards using the same GPU. The other cards are just there for reference.

So why does noise have the 7900 series? Well, first because I apparently forgot to not include them and used an updated spreadsheet that had those results. Oops. But also because the noise (and power) testing hasn't changed with drivers and such. I don't have truly "comparable" results from 12900K testing for the new AMD cards in a couple of games, or alternatively I don't have comparable data from all the other 4090 cards if I were to swap testbeds and retest.

But all of that misses the point that I'm really just evaluating the Colorful 4090 against the other 4090 cards. It's better in some cases (though the VRAM is likely just luck of the draw), but worse on noise levels. If you don't want a quieter 4090 card, and you can find it in stock, it's not a bad option.