[SOLVED] Colour problems on new Samsung 27" curved display ?

Dart77

Commendable
Sep 2, 2021
Hi, I'm in Australia (so some spelling is a bit different...!)

I received a new Samsung C27R500HFE Curved LED 27" monitor a few days ago, from Ebay (Australia). It is sold as a gaming monitor (VA panel) but I am using it as a general purpose display and it should work well for that according to all the information I read.

But the colour rendering is noticeably bad. My previous display was a 7 year old ASUS V248H (24 inch LCD) which was just great in every way. I just wanted a bigger screen and was interested in the curved screen - no problems there, it's just the colours that are the problem. It has trouble with reds, browns and pinks.

Especially on pictures with people, it doesn't like white or tanned skin colours. It exaggerates the reds and pinks and they often look like blotches and high temperature areas and rashes on the skin. It also often puts a pink hue in the skin which should be normal skin colour. The ASUS never did this. It just looks either faulty or cheap.

Does this sound like a faulty display? I have an NVIDIA 450GTS Graphics card, using the HDMI port, as this display will not accept VGA or DVI inputs (the receptacle for VGA is there but it will not allow it to be selected on the screen! Only HDMI)

I have just reset the display to factory settings - it looks worse . I have also just updated the drivers on the NVIDIA card and re-installed the software. No change in the colours.

Does anyone have experience in this issue, or any suggestions? Or will I return it to the seller and buy another monitor, as I don't want to waste time getting an identical one in case this is normal behaviour for this model. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Solution
Last time I experienced an issue similar to yours, it turned out to be faulty drivers on the platform. Just for the sake of reference, make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard. What OS are you working with? You can try using DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, then using the latest drivers sourced from Nvidia's support page, manually reinstalling the driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

If that doesn't help, try swapping the HDMI cables. You can also rule out your panel being faulty out of the box, by hooking it up to a donor system(can also be a laptop) to see if you get the same sort of colors as seen prior. You could try tinkering with the monitors OSD settings and...

Lutfij

Titan
Last time I experienced an issue similar to yours, it turned out to be faulty drivers on the platform. Just for the sake of reference, make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard. What OS are you working with? You can try using DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, then using the latest drivers sourced from Nvidia's support page, manually reinstalling the driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

If that doesn't help, try swapping the HDMI cables. You can also rule out your panel being faulty out of the box, by hooking it up to a donor system(can also be a laptop) to see if you get the same sort of colors as seen prior. You could try tinkering with the monitors OSD settings and see if the colors can be resolved but I would pint a finger towards Ebay...maybe the seller wasn't up front...?

Solution

Dart77

Commendable
Sep 2, 2021
Last time I experienced an issue similar [...] ... maybe the seller wasn't up front...?

Thanks, I appreciate the comprehensive & helpful post. I am only about half a rung up from a complete novice so I had to look up all those things. You have pointed me in a different direction so I think I see now that it is just an old/new compatibility issue. Probably drivers. But I did do the simplest thing first, swapped the HDMI cable for another one. No change. I think what made the most difference (although only very slight) was updating the drivers on the video card assembly. My system is about 8+ years old (i5 Quad core 8GBR, 2.67GHz 64Bit using NVidia GeForce 450GTS Gaming 1GB Video) and I am still using Win 7 Professional SP1.

The BIOS is dated 2009! And the only update for that is Dec 2012. So I won't upgrade BIOS; I read a few warnings about it and my PC is working perfectly and has done so for a long while so it would be too risky and won't change anything regarding a 2020 display. The updated driver date for the NVIDIA was Mar 2018, so it's still a bit old compared to this monitor.

I have played around with the Display settings quite a lot but it only changes everything together, even turning the red down affects everything and just makes it more washed out and pink in areas.

I just discovered that the NVIDIA card has it's own control panel accessible from the desktop and has colour settings as well, so I played with them.

I looked at the Ebay description again for this display monitor and IMO I think it should mention something about performance possibly being reduced on older model computers. People like me who are still using older generation stuff, I just didn't consider that this could happen. (If it's acting normally that is, and not actually faulty).

Anyway, the seller has accepted my return and I will send it back and buy another one, different brand / model.

Thanks again.

Last edited: