Comcast Gateway Ethernet Port Communication

COI3acon

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Hi all,
I have a new comcast "gateway" and it has two ethernet ports on the back. One of the ethernet ports goes to a vpn box that is connected to a work computer. The other ethernet port goes to my home computer. I'm just wondering if those two ethernet ports communicate with each other or if they are independent. For example, say I were to purchase something online using my home computer - could that credit card information be viewed by an "IT" person using the other ethernet port? Are there steps needed to make my home computer secure?

U are being paranoid.

When you get on a browser and buy stuff, click checkout and give them your cc, the cc is encrypted because... tada... u will notice HTTPs on the URL. The "s" confirms a SECURED connection, between your browser and the far end server, so the data is already scrambled before leaving your pc/laptop.

COI3acon

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
That was just an example, maybe a poor one on my part. I just want to know if there is any way they can access my home computer, that's all. In other words, are both ethernet ports considered to be "on the same network" or are they independent.