[SOLVED] [Comcast] Planning to Upgrade From Arris Surfboard SB8200 to SB8300, Is it worth it?

May 24, 2020
I'm having an Arris Surfboard SB8200, but I recently noticed that the SB8300 is available.

I love the way SB8200 works with my current setup, but I'm about to set an home office and shall be using Comcast Xfinity's Business Internet Plan.

I was recently searching for good quality modems on Amazon/BestBuy and found that they've launched the SB8300 too. The price difference between SB8200 and SB8300 is around $100, I'm not a very technical person in nature, but I do have basic understanding of how modems work.

I tried looking on YouTube and even on Google but couldn't find proper difference specs by specs comparison or a review based comparison. Is there someone who can help me understand the difference between both the modems and also help me understand if they'd work with Comcast Xfinity?

The reason why I'm considering for an upgrade is because

1. It's an upgrade (Launched recently.)
  2. Future proof (Maybe, I'm not very technical.)

Would really be helpful, TIA!

Solution
You can't really compare those devices. One is only a modem and the second is a modem and a router in the same box.

I strongly suspect the modem part is exactly the same.

In general you want to run a separate modem and router anyway since it givers you more flexibility and you can upgrade the router without having to talk involve the ISP.
First contact Comcast and make sure they support the firmware for the new modem, if they don’t, it won’t work at all. Second, barring them adding 4 Gigabit service and you purchasing it, both seem unlikely at a minimum, I see absolutely no reason to waste your money on an “upgrade” unless you just want to brag about your modem to people.

You can't really compare those devices. One is only a modem and the second is a modem and a router in the same box.

In general you want to run a separate modem and router anyway since it givers you more flexibility and you can upgrade the router without having to talk involve the ISP.

Solution
May 24, 2020
First contact Comcast and make sure they support the firmware for the new modem, if they don’t, it won’t work at all. Second, barring them adding 4 Gigabit service and you purchasing it, both seem unlikely at a minimum, I see absolutely no reason to waste your money on an “upgrade” unless you just want to brag about your modem to people.

I've actually contacted them and they said that they'll support the firmware of the new modem as well. Also, it's not exactly an upgrade, it's a cable modem/combo. So if I buy this I'll not have to buy a separate router.

By any chance do you think if a combo is as good as the separate equipment?

[Update]

Based on a few buying guides and help from members in the comments below, I've decided to get separate modem and a Wireless Router. I've finally gotten a Arris Surfboard SB8200 + TP-Link Archer C2300 (which supports gigabit connections from Comcast Xfinity.)
  1. https://www.cnet.com/how-to/home-networking-explained-part-8-cable-modem-shopping-tips/
  2. https://approvedmodems.org/modem-buying-guide/
  3. https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-get-the-best-cable-modem-buy-or-rent-from-your-isp

Last edited:
May 24, 2020

Thanks a lot, @bill001g

Yeah, after researching a bit! I found out that it probably is the same modem part, but it's coming with the router built in, I think, like you advised I shall go for the SB8200 and a separate router!

Thanks a lot, @bill001g

Yeah, after researching a bit! I found out that it probably is the same modem part, but it's coming with the router built in, I think, like you advised I shall go for the SB8200 and a separate router!
I hate combos and separate routers are definitely my suggestion as well. Get a new home link system if you can.

Mar 29, 2020
The combo units don't usually have any external antennas, that makes a big difference in wifi signal strength.
Verizon's FIOS gateway router isn't any better. I disable the built in wifi and use my own router.

If a power surge fries your modem, you'll only have to replace the modem (unless you're really unlucky and somehow both get fried).

Reactions: smithadamtries
May 24, 2020
The combo units don't usually have any external antennas, that makes a big difference in wifi signal strength.
Verizon's FIOS gateway router isn't any better. I disable the built in wifi and use my own router.

If a power surge fries your modem, you'll only have to replace the modem (unless you're really unlucky and somehow both get fried).

I totally get your point!

Have finally gotten the Arris SurfBoard SB8200 and getting the TP-Link Archer C2300 and received them today, I finally have setup them! It went smooth!

Thanks everyone!