Come and Get It! Windows 7 RC Released for Public

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
um how in gods name will this be important to the PC industry? Its just another user interface that is bloated and will soon get infected with malware. I'll stick to XP, because it works on my 2gb of RAM and really fast at that too. What does Se7en have to offer me that XP doesnt?

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
[citation][nom]dacman61[/nom]When are they going to drop the 32-bit versions of the OS?! We've had 64-bit hardware out there in the wild for many years now. It's time to say goodbye to anyone hanging on to their old 32-bit systems. I still have an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ PC that runs Windows XP just fine and will never plan on running anything newer on it because it is unnecessary for something that old. Does anyone else agree?[/citation]

Um in case you've been living in a hole. Xenon's are not 64-bit. Intel was liceseing the technology from AMD since. I've tried multiple times ot install 64--bit windows on our servers (which are Dell 2950's) and it comes back saying that the chip is 32-bit not 64 bit.

antemon

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
[citation][nom]Antilycus[/nom]Um in case you've been living in a hole. Xenon's are not 64-bit. Intel was liceseing the technology from AMD since. I've tried multiple times ot install 64--bit windows on our servers (which are Dell 2950's) and it comes back saying that the chip is 32-bit not 64 bit.[/citation]

uh... directx?

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]omarbadr36[/nom]770? wow[/citation]

I am now downloading the 64-bit version and it is more unstable - is stays most of the time at 848 KB/s but sometimes it goes down to 350 KB/s for a few seconds. Still, it's an awsome speed. The 32-bit version was ready in about 45-50 minutes. This one should be done in 1h10.

I don't know if it's because I'm in Europe, Portugal. How's the download speed over in the US ?

f4nt4sm4

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
I though personal keys that Microsoft generates for personal use can be activated in 3 different PC's, so why not register? oops they already spammed my email account :(

ehenry818

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
I started the download before I left for work this morning.

I hope more and more people see Windows 7 as a good thing and realize that if they want to keep there 5 year old machines, Windows 7 will run on it. Someone asked why would you want to update from XP? Better Security. Even though Vista is a resoruce hog it much more secure than XP. I do the same things I did when I had XP and more, and I have less secuity issues on Vista. So far Windows 7 seems a lot more stable than windows XP. This October Windows XP will have been out for 8 years, and there are still so many issues with it. After 8 years and XP still is not right, it is still crashing, Blue screening etc. I have had less problems with Vista than with XP. It amazes me how soon people forget how horrible windows XP was when it first came out and that it took a good 3 years or so to get a lot of the issues worked out, and to this day XP still bites the fat one.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
2.1 MB/sec...oh yeah!

I'm going to try and dual boot this on the second hard drive of my laptop. My other drive had backup files on it, but i will delete them before the fresh install. Is there anything else i should know before doing this? Any great links for help? Please tell me if i'm doing something wrong before i try this :)

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
wow. i started this download at 6:30am central time. got 29% done and was downloading at 8megs till my girlfriend got up and tried to download her a copy on her pc. then now niether one of us can get it moving. grrr lol

I got it at exactly 12:08am EST and everything finished within two hours!

Download took about 30 minutes, installation took 15 minutes, and program installs took an hour.

I'm just surprised at its refinement. Windows 7 Beta was already refined, this just makes it even better.

cdrgary

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Whenever I click the download button, it goes to the next page for a brief moment, then redirects me back to the download/installation instructions page
Anyone know how to fix this?

[citation][nom]Antilycus[/nom]um how in gods name will this be important to the PC industry? Its just another user interface that is bloated and will soon get infected with malware. I'll stick to XP, because it works on my 2gb of RAM and really fast at that too. What does Se7en have to offer me that XP doesnt?[/citation]

Uh, a whole lot more than you think.

Let the thing die already. come on.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]2.1 MB/sec...oh yeah!I'm going to try and dual boot this on the second hard drive of my laptop. My other drive had backup files on it, but i will delete them before the fresh install. Is there anything else i should know before doing this? Any great links for help? Please tell me if i'm doing something wrong before i try this[/citation]

I did the same with Windows 7 Beta 7000. I have a Toshiba A200-226 with 2 200gb hard drives. I have Vista on one (it came with it), and, having the other one empty, that's where I installed Windows 7. No problems at all!

I hope everything goes well with your installation too!

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Marcus Yam[/nom]Thanks for posting keys, but since all keys are free from Microsoft, there isn't much point.Also, all keys obtained during the beta seem to work and activate just fine.[/citation]
Seriosly it's free wth are you going to do with it what you don't want to creative a live account.

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
[citation][nom]Marcus Yam[/nom]I understand your feelings that there's a little bit of Windows 7 overload right now, but this new OS will be one of the most important things to happen to the PC industry in years. It's also one of the only interesting things happening in news right now. So, there will be more Windows 7 news coming because there's still progress to report on before it hits retail shelves, plus it's related to the industry that we cover here. But I'll do what I can though to see if we can boost our coverage of the recent Mac OS X Snow Leopard beta just to keep things even.[/citation]
F That Sht
I had to log in just to say this. we better not be talking about OS X. Ill leave this site and go to another one without Mac's. This is why everyone is here in the first place, Windows hardware and software.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]tpi2007[/nom]I did the same with Windows 7 Beta 7000. I have a Toshiba A200-226 with 2 200gb hard drives. I have Vista on one (it came with it), and, having the other one empty, that's where I installed Windows 7. No problems at all! I hope everything goes well with your installation too![/citation]

What do i do if my secondary HDD isn't empty? its got some backup files on it. Do i just delete them? or do i need to like "wipe" the hdd or something?

Would it be better to make a new partition on that secondary drive?

I have no experience in this :)

siliconchampion

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
My speeds in Minnesota, USA, were about 500KB/s until about 79%, then dropped to 20KB/s. I do not know if it was my ISP or if the download had been slowing gradually the whole time. (I watched it fly through the first 10%, I diddn't check it again for about 3 hours and it was at 79%, probably slowed much sooner than I thought.)

After it was DL'ed it took me 40 minutes to burn, install, and fully update it on my laptop. Like it so far. I'm not changing my gaming rigs from vista x64 until I make sure of full compatability though.

Overall, great so far!

zorro_84

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
up and running one of the os i have ever installed flag pop up about antivirus clicked more options kaspersky has a beta trial for 6 months running fine fast and user friendly try it and see

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
got mine, upgrade from windows vista took over 4 hours! ouch, full install would have been better. had to get beta version of norton. will play some more tomorrow...

f4nt4sm4

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Geh!, Wolfenstein ET, Battlefield 2, Quake 3 Arena and various others have punkbuster problems, but hell, Mirror's Edge and Fear 2 feels more smoother than vista 64, like 10% more fps.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]What do i do if my secondary HDD isn't empty? its got some backup files on it. Do i just delete them? or do i need to like "wipe" the hdd or something?Would it be better to make a new partition on that secondary drive?I have no experience in this[/citation]

My HDD was empty, and it is the best way to do it: on a clean disk. In order to keep your backup files I would advise you to either create a new partition on that secondary drive, and installing Windows 7 in there, or just copying the backup files somewhere else (another Hdd, Dvd's, etc) and wiping the harddrive. If you don't, the Windows 7 intallation will do it for you anyway.

reininop

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
[citation][nom]ehenry818[/nom]I started the download before I left for work this morning. I hope more and more people see Windows 7 as a good thing and realize that if they want to keep there 5 year old machines, Windows 7 will run on it. Someone asked why would you want to update from XP? Better Security. Even though Vista is a resoruce hog it much more secure than XP. I do the same things I did when I had XP and more, and I have less secuity issues on Vista. So far Windows 7 seems a lot more stable than windows XP. This October Windows XP will have been out for 8 years, and there are still so many issues with it. After 8 years and XP still is not right, it is still crashing, Blue screening etc. I have had less problems with Vista than with XP. It amazes me how soon people forget how horrible windows XP was when it first came out and that it took a good 3 years or so to get a lot of the issues worked out, and to this day XP still bites the fat one.[/citation]

You must have forgotten that if you weren't using Windows 2000, which most home users were not, you were stuck with Windows ME or 98. While XP wasn't perfectly stable, it did last more than 48 hours without a reboot which could rarely be said for a lot of people running the former OS. I will agree that vista was more stable upon release. Most people didn't want there hand held as much as it attempted to do though, along with the well documented performance issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.