[SOLVED] Command & Conquer Generals Direct X 8.1 Error When Launching Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhavick

Commendable
Nov 14, 2018
Hi,

I've got Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium installed on my Desktop. I recently installed Command & Conquer Generals and when i try and boot the game up i get the following error message.

"Please make sure you have Direct X 8.1 or higher installed. Also verify that your video card meets the minimum requirement"

I've been playing this game for ages now and i am only now just getting this error message since yesterday.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this please as it's driving me mad:-(

Thanks

Solution
Maybe remove DX (all of it). Then re-install the game and let in re-install DX8.1. Then you can install DX 11 on top of it, and it might fix it.

Dave8671

Distinguished
I have got errors like this in the past with games that needed directx runtime components that was not installed. I used the directx web installer to fix it. On the link use the web installer. It should install the runtime components that are missing for some reason. Than try the game.

Directx link

bhavick

Commendable
Nov 14, 2018
Hi,

I downloaded the web installer and half way through the installation i got the following message

"DirectX setup has determined that a newer or equivalent version of DirectX has been installed already. No installation is necessary."

Am really not sure what to do now?

bhavick

Commendable
Nov 14, 2018
Hi,

I am running the following graphics card on my PC "AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series" My screen resolution is "1600 X 900" The weird thing the game was working fine on these settings about two weeks ago. I can't understand what's changed since then?

I've tried running the game in Windows XP in both service pack 2 and 3 and i still get the same error message!

Thanks

Dave8671

Distinguished
Is the windows 7 up to date on updates this also means compatbility updates under optional updates. Change to a lower resolution see if it helps. I can only think of two possibilities if the above options fail to help.

- The GPU is slowly dying.

- or the power supply is dying and not giving enough power to the GPU. Which can cause graphical errors. That card needs at least a 450 watt power supply. Can you have the power supply tested at a computer repair shop?

Some signs are USB devices will stop working at times. Black screen on monitor. Will not power back on once it was powered down etc.

bhavick

Commendable
Nov 14, 2018
HI,

I've installed all the latest Windows updates both important and optional updates. The power supply that i am running on my PC is a Corsair TX750m 80+ gold which is more then adequate to run my graphics card. Since installing the power supply it's been faultless and has never given me any problems with the monitor going off or devices not working when plugged in. I've even got Speccy installed which shows absolutely no errors.

I've tried every single resolution setting both high and low and it makes no difference when i try and launch the game!

Thanks

bhavick

Commendable
Nov 14, 2018
I've already uninstalled and reinstalled it and it made no difference. I think i might have an idea of what might have caused the game to stop working. A couple of weeks ago there was some important driver updates for my graphics card that i installed and i believe that this is what may have caused the game to stop working. Not sure how i would go about fixing it though.

I can't believe that there aren't any fixes for this!

Jul 15, 2019
Have you updated your video card drivers recently? I ran into this issue when upgrading to any version above 19.5.2. I'm not sure what changed with 19.6.x but I don't have a solution other than to run the older version of AMD's drivers.

bhavick

Commendable
Nov 14, 2018
I am currently running Radeon Version 19.6.3. How do i run the older AMD drivers? To be honest i did recently update the drivers so i think that's what may have caused the game to stop running.

Dave8671

Distinguished

bhavick

Commendable
Nov 14, 2018
I managed to get the game running successfully yesterday. It was a matter of deleting one of the files in the installation folder.

Thanks guys for your help:)

Jul 15, 2019
I figured out how to run C&C Generals/Zero Hour with AMD's drivers above 19.5.2 and wanted to post this here in case it can help anyone else in the future. I cobbled this together from a couple other discussions I came across.

dgVoodoo2 is the solution. It acts a wrapper for older graphics APIs. Download the latest version from http://dege.freeweb.hu/ (Currently 2.61).
Extract the dgVoodoo.conf and dgVoodooCpl.exe to the same directory as Generals.exe. Four DLL's from the MS/x86 folder also need to be placed in the same folder as Generals.exe. E.g. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour)

This should get the game to run at this point. If you want to use GenTool at the same time, it requires you to rename D3D8.dll first to d3d8x.dll. GenTool will automatically load any file named "d3d8x.dll." This is necessary because GenTool installs its own D3D8.dll.

Status
Not open for further replies.