Commodore Relaunches Amiga Brand with Powerful Mini PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]ab0tj[/nom]Apple lawsuit in 3.... 2....[/citation]

Well Apple does give fair warning that few realize. Apple warned Samsung 4 times in 2010 t oavoid litigation but Samsung refused. Either way another Apple clone...heh.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I used to manage one of the largest Amiga distributors back in it's day (InterComputing Inc. in Dallas) and this is just offensive.

CBM management was abusing (and this is being polite) the Commodore and Amiga name back then with unsavory decisions, and now the new owners of the name seem to be following in their steps.
This is nothing but an overpriced custom PC in a designer case and has nothing to do with an "Amiga" computer.

Borisblade7

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]design and size not withstanding, the price is down right ridiculous for what it is. BTW, what ever happened to the Razor Blade laptop?[/citation]

Sadly it was just as ridiculously overpriced.

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
~no disrespect .. but is this nothing more than a PC with a Amiga badge ? The computer was good because it had one hell of a good operating system back in the day. Maybe it's time to give Hyperion Entertainment a wee bit of support and get this box to its former glory -- and do something about that price! the economy is not what it was!

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Those old Amiga fans are now in their late 30's, 40's and have high end pc's which most can't afford(me included), This cut down pc rebadged as an Amiga is a joke, Leave it as a classic as it once was.
Want to create a winner, OS on chip was and still is one of the best ideas in ages from old Amiga days, Almost instant on, Can't pirate it etc etc Amiga was a true hybrid, Both pc and console and it kicked ass in it's day!

jbheller

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
So some company that has nothing to do with the original Commodore hijacks the name, has a nice looking ITX case made, and slaps a zotac motherboard in it.

http://www.zotac.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images-SRW.tpl&product_id=363&category_id=146&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=100259&lang=au

Then you pay 20% more than retail to add a limited range of options to it, and somehow this is either innovative or revolutionary. I think not.

The case is so much like a mac mini that they will probably be sued out of existence by Apple.

Other readers comments about a GT430 not suiting a gaming market...very correct. But Commodore has used someone elses prepackaged motherboard....zotac designed the board to make a nice general purpose small form factor system suitable for standard applications not gaming.

I'd love to see a version of the "Agima" able to take a low profile graphics card. Zotac makes another Z68 motherboard with a pci 16x slot,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500069

and team that with something like the sapphire 6670 low profile card. Still wont make a blazing gaming box but it should run most games at medium settings.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102958

G

I'd be happier if they just built a custom Workbench rom into one of those little 10000-in-1 classic game hookups that I keep seeing in malls.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Jane, maybe you're too young to remember the original, but I don't think I'd want to pay $2500 and see Guru Meditation flashing on my screen again.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]digitalrazoe[/nom]~no disrespect .. but is this nothing more than a PC with a Amiga badge ?[/citation] You didn't disrespect the REAL Amigas... this "Commdore" company is a fly-by-night company.

I'm not sure how a modern Commodore would be useful or workable... other than promoting and reselling the current Amiga tech... which is still rather piss-poor by todays standards... the Amiga fanatics (I love my Amigas) could have and SHOULD have used standard x86/ATX motherboards... add a custom I/O card and go with that. But NO - they went with some custom CHIP that is a variant of MC.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
The Amiga died because Commodore was a very stupid company. Back then, even in my late teens, I could have done a better job with the company.

Amiga was the most powerful PC in the 80s and very early 90s... Windows 3.x made MS-PCs somewhat usable.

neon871

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Doomed to fail @ $2495 ( just like before) unless you meant $249.50 or even better $24.95
If one was going to pay that price the PC better have spec's as good or better then Alienware.
I loved my Amiga 3000T (I still have it) but is now way outdated.

punnar

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Intel's Core i7-2700k 3.5 GHz Quad-Core (3.9Ghz Turboboost) CPU + NVIDIA's GeForce GT 430 GPU with 1GB DDR3? What a waste of a cpu. Drop the in a i3 2120 instead and charge $500.00 for it.

G

Would be better if it had a slightly different case, and a i5-2400s and Radeon HD 7750 single slot with a lower price tag instead of i7 2700k and GT 430. That would be more of a gaming pc.

G

This is just a normal PC called AMIGA. Look at the OS. It's not the classic Amiga OS. It's a modified Linux-version.

contrasia

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
The only reason people would buy it is for nostalgia. If you get a half decent working machine at the same time, cool - people would be happy with that. But beyond that, don't expect any tech enthusiasts or hi-spec gamers to pick up a machine that's for an older generation.

Looks like they forgot who their intended audience was suppose to be =P

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
On another site I saw a comment where someone said.
"Just imagine if someone today had enough money to develop a gaming computer around an AMD graphics card with an OS optimized for a custom chipset."
We already have that.
It is called an Xbox 360.

o_O ??? Huh?

WHAT kind of rip-off is this? Compact hardware, Okay. GT430 with an i7 and supposed to be a gaming rig???? EPIC FAIL.

Perhaps if they had the OS more tuned into the look and feel of the old Amigas, with a certified emulator for those who want to run the nostalgic programs of yester-year.... Oh wait.... Custom OS, against the market-share of MS.... unless they hire a ton of programmers, or find some great OpenSource stuff that can make good in the retro look and feel.... DOOMED before launch still.

Yeah, in general it might blow away the most powerful 68k based Amiga, but, IF Amiga, and the rest of the home computer market had managed to live with the active numbers from their hey-days.... There might be some very interesting options to PC (or Mac's PC)... Now all we are left with is either someone taking advantage of a name and special application programmable chips to create SoCs of the old hardware as it slowly disappears.

The new C=? hasn't brought their game here, unless its to take advantage of people. Gimme the old hardware made viable and a source to the old software instead of this wannabe.

Status
Not open for further replies.