Commodore USA Launching C64 Tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With an Atom processor, this will be a cheap toy, nothing more. Basically, it sounds like a netbook without the screen. The only thing that would make it actually impressive is a max $100 price.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I started off with a c64, it was so far out my mom thought I stole it and made me throw it away. So that began my underground years when I took the 64 and stuck it in the basement along with a IBM PC...

ahh the good ol' days...

G

I actuall played arround with a VIC 20 as the first home computer. When the C 64 came out, I wanted one very badly. I begged my mom to get one and she got it one Christmas. It was better then the the first apples, and it worked in color. Using a TV for the screen was a great plan at the time, because it cut down on the cost of the system. The use of "Sprites" made it very well suited for video games. (sprites were like tiny moveable screens that could contain the artwork for the charactors for games. I learned to program, dial into the Schools computer system, played a ton of games, and was able to print out book reports that I was able to turn in to multiple classes for credit. It was truly a turning point for me. Lots of fond memories.

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I must have had 500 games for that puppy. What memories. Some of the games I miss today. Luckily, the best of the bunch (IMHO) -- Impossible Mission -- is available for the Nintendo DS! I only wish I could get the Castles of Dr. Creep, and maybe a dozen others as well ...

G

yeah. I recall doing the bulk of my BASIC programming on this baby. Not to mention the hours of D&D and other such games.
Wow.... I remember the word processing program, Mirage. You had to load programs into memory from either a tape or 5 ¼" floppy. I typed my senior thesis on it.
Atom will be pretty good, I suppose. I know my co-worker runs 2003 server w/ exchange on an atom desktop. I do hope they incorporate some type of emulator.

meradz

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
I truely miss my C64. I loved playing games on it. At the time, the sound was considered revolutionary. The Amiga was also years ahead of its time. I wish they both would have stuck around and continued development.

I don't think this new toy will make any headway unless it includes emulators and ability to connect the original hardware (cartidges, floppy drive, etc.). It would also be nice if it included a package to play original games.

Areinaldo

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2007
Wow this brings back memories, I won My C64 when I was 12 delivering newspapers. From there was later an Amiga 128 then the Amiga 500 and finally an Amiga 4000 with a video toaster. Very nice games for the time, Defender of the Crown anyone.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
My C64 is probably a huge reason I got into programming. I had a few cartridge and floppy games but I wanted more so my parents got me a BASIC game programming book and I went on from there.

[citation][nom]mister g[/nom]I wasn't born yet when these things were released. Can anybody clue me into how it used to be?[/citation]
heres a clue, sitting waiting for a game to load from a tape drive while it made its squeeling sounds only to find out half an hour later there was an error and it crashed back to the command prompt. I was much happier when i got my Atari ST

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
[citation][nom]Areinaldo[/nom]Wow this brings back memories, I won My C64 when I was 12 delivering newspapers. From there was later an Amiga 128 then the Amiga 500 and finally an Amiga 4000 with a video toaster. Very nice games for the time, Defender of the Crown anyone.[/citation]

Heck yes. Defender of the Crown, I remember that. I wasn't any good at it, however. I had it on C64.

pirateboy

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
[citation][nom]mister g[/nom]I wasn't born yet when these things were released. Can anybody clue me into how it used to be?[/citation]

pr0n came on vhs tapes and the actresses were hairy

G

i had a 300 baud modem with mine running a bulletin board (BBS). That 300 baud = 300 bits per second of transfer over a dedicated phone line.

Agustus69

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Loved my C64. Zork, Bard's Tale and the Ultima series - I killed countless hours on those games. Think I had some really noise daisy wheel printer too with it. Great memories, but I'll pass on this little toy.

[citation][nom]soundping[/nom]I cut my teeth on a TRS-80 using cassette metal tape not floppy.[/citation]

In '78 all I had access to was a kit computer with a 6502 CPU and 32K (!) of RAM. And yes, I remember the metal tapes with a cassette recorder...it took over 3 minutes to load BASIC and then you had to load your program. Wait a second...my Windows laptop takes 3 minutes to boot up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.