Commonest question here, is this a good build?

Sep 28, 2018
Hey guys

So I linked my build below.
I am trying to make a gaming PC that can run most games at the highest setting and get me 60fps or more. I will be playing at 1080p.
Also, do you think it is wise to get something like the rx580 or should I wait till new gen comes up.

thanks all

Build:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Gkd8xG

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
You could be limited by the single DIMM memory. You could get a B350 motherboard that won't boot because a BIOS update is required. It is getting less likely, but still possible. Check the motherboard box for a sticker or logo that says it is series 2 compatible. A B450 motherboard won't have that risk.

Sep 28, 2018

Thank you for your reply.
Sorry, I am a bit of a newbie. For the DIMM memory is it better to go for 4gbx2 or you mean get 8x2gb. The reason I chose one, for now, is because of the budget.
The mobo I know what you mean, I might just go for B450 actually.

Thanks Again.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor (£142.48 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI - B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard (£85.97 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£74.16 @ Technextday)
Storage: Kingston - A400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£33.54 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8GB ARMOR OC Video Card (£229.97 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Corsair - Carbide SPEC-04 (Black/Gray) ATX Mid Tower Case (£44.39 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£65.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £675.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-28 17:08 BST+0100

Slightly better PSU, roughly the same price. Couldn't find the same case though.

Sep 3, 2018
I'd recommend going for 2666mhz as a minimum for ram if this is a gaming build, Ryzen scales well with faster RAM unlike Intel builds. Don't pay too much for fastest, swaggiest, RGB ram, but if its only say an extra $20-30 to get 8gbs of 3000 mhz or something I would definitely do so.

Also like mentioned, going with 2x4gb and then upgrading to 4x4gb down the line is a better bet than starting with 1x8gb

Edit:
Here's 2 x 4gb @ 3000 mhz added to the build, and I think it's cheaper than what you had in there :) https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/zk8FYT

Sep 28, 2018

Thank you for your input.
I noticed you changed the mobo which is more expensive, is it important or can I stick with the MSI - B450M PRO-M2 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard?

Sep 28, 2018

Thank you for your advice.
I read some things about ryzen and ram speeds and I think I will aim for at least 3000mhz if not ill do 2666.
Thank you for the recomendation!

There's one or two difference, the most important being the number of ram slots. 4 on the Pro A 2 on the Pro M2. Just for being able to add more ram down the line it's a better option. The Pro A has slightly better audio too.

It also has a rollback feature for the bios which can be quite useful.

Solution
Sep 3, 2018

He's right you should definitely try to get a board with 4 ram slots if possible, especially if you're only planning to start with 8gb (2x4). I'm sure there are plenty micro-atx boards with 4 slots, just find the one with the features you need. I personally have never had issues with Asus boards but that's just been my experience

kanewolf

Titan
He's right you should definitely try to get a board with 4 ram slots if possible, especially if you're only planning to start with 8gb (2x4). I'm sure there are plenty micro-atx boards with 4 slots, just find the one with the features you need. I personally have never had issues with Asus boards but that's just been my experience

Generally the maximum clock speed supported with 4 DIMMs is lower. Also mix-and-match of RAM is always a gamble. The best and highest performing configuration is to have 1 DIMM per memory channel on the CPU. Replacing the 2x4GB with 2x8GB in the future is a better path than adding another 2x4GB.

That is true. For Ryzen with 4 dimms populated it can be as low as 1866 or 2133mhz more often than not. Depends on whether the DIMMS are single or dual ranked. Agree on the replacement kits 2 for 2. Too hit and miss mixing DIMMS.