Discussion Community Questions: Do You FreeSync or G-Sync?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I waited for the ASUS PG279Q to come out. $800 + tax, but I plan to keep it for probably another few years so I am firmly entrenched in the G-sync camp. QHD 144hz still seems to be the sweet spot for high end gaming. Probably need a new GPU in a year or two to keep up, but for now G-sync does a great job of preventing tearing.

Right when I was looking at replacements because of tearing the first G-sync modules hit the market. Couldn't get my settings accurate enough for V-sync to handle it, always dipping below and putting huge tears right in the middle. Just had to wait a few months for the first commercial panels. I had my eye on the PG278Q for the longest time, but I wanted to try out something that wasn't a TN panel. Acer was first, but I didn't want a race car red monitor, and I am glad I waited. Having that extra HDMI port is very useful for hooking my laptop up when I want a bigger screen.

I doubt I could go back to not using a VRR display. But the next big step up is such a huge one I think that is going to be quite a few years off.

I would love an OLED high refresh panel, but not at the price Dell tried out.

Unfortunately this might be another one of those times that technologies may die (just like 3D vision and 3D TVs, and now VR). I'll wait a couple of more years. Either the technology becomes standard or it will die.
The technology is pretty much standard now that Nvidia finally gave in a couple months back and enabled support for FreeSync for their 10 and 20-series cards. Both AMD and Nvidia support FreeSync over DisplayPort now, and Intel likely will as well when they launch their dedicated cards next year. All dedicated graphics cards launched within the last few years now support FreeSync. The current Xbox consoles do as well, though support varies by game and the feature is not yet common on televisions.

4freedomssake

Honorable
Oct 30, 2017
I just bought the best ultrawide I could afford at the time. The LG LG 29UM68-P 29-Inch. I really don't care about either 'syncs'. I just wish I could've bought one with a higher refresh rate. 60hz

I bought my Gsync monitor almost 3 1/2yrs ago, and it was a game changer. I love the smoothness of it and lack of tearing.

Back in late 2015, when I bought the monitor, Freesync wasn't really a contender. Even in 2017 it seemed Freesync had a limited range. I'd see monitors that could only have Freesync operate between XXHz and XXHz, I don't remember specifically but it was limited.

But in 2019, I'd have 0 hesitation in buying a Freesync monitor. And if it is compatible with Nvidia gpu then I'd go that route. Save the money and avoid the Gsync premium (~$200)

Reactions: King_V

Deders

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Up until a year ago, I was happily using Triple buffering. 99% of the time, I'm playing single player games, maxed out on an overclocked 1080.

Some of these games, on the 3440x1440 Asus PG348Q that I play on, can still end up dipping into the 30fps range (FFXV im looking at you in particular) So at the time I bought my monitor, I figured Gsync would be the best for my usage. I'm still a bit dubious about LFC on Freesync monitors, I guess I'd have to experience it for myself before I could say I would be happy to game for long hours with double frames.

Edit: Ok so I've just seen this video showing that Gsync also uses multiple frames at lower framerates, but it does leave me wondering if AMD's implemetation is as flexible. Can it pace the frames in cases of sudden framerate jumps on both AMD and Nvidia cards?

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
Love gsync and was happy to pay two years ago. Happier now that they're supporting some freesync monitors and I hope the number of compatible monitors continues to grow.
You don't need a G-sync-listed Adaptive Sync monitor to use adaptive sync with recent Nvidia GPUs, it'll work with any display with adaptive sync on it. The only differences are that you have to manually enable it and the user experience isn't guaranteed to meet Nvidia's standards.

Reactions: J_E_D_70
I 3D. I have NVidia 3d Vision and a 1080Ti, just ordered another monitor, and I have to say, I was gaming on 3x24in 1440p monitors in 3D and it was awesome, very very immersive. Now I'm moving up to 27in monitors, and I gotta say, good 3D beats G-Sync/Freesync/VRR, but you've got to have a fast enough card that it won't get bogged down by the graphics. I also have several VR Headsets from varying manufacturers, and for gaming, 3D is still awesome. VR has come a long way, but it's still got a ways to go for long term gaming. It's hard to spend hours with a headset on, even the comfortable ones.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
G-sync on 1440p on the 27" Dell S2716DG with a GTX2080. Now that I've been spoiled I don't know how I'd ever go back. My old 60hz refresh monitors just doesn't feel quite right anymore whenever I try to use them on my old build with the GTX1070.

I use FreeSync because the screens I bought with it were on clearance and cost less than displays without any 'sync technology. I'm very happy with it, but I also know that I could never get a Gsync display for that price.

gahelm1

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
I use the Acer Predator 27 inch with G-Sync on my new 2080TI Founders Edition. As I haven't seen Freesync with my own eyes I cant say which is better. I will say that back in the day when I bought this monitor (2016) it was the best I could afford, however with Nvidia now supporting Freesync I will probably make my next purchase a freesync version since I really do believe that Nvidia is asking far too much for their G-Sync technology.
Higher refresh rates and VRR within games is definitely the way to go if your GPU/CPU can handle it. Playing games on my old monitor would cause a fair bit of eye strain, but with the G-sync equipped monitor I can play for hours with no problem.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm still a bit dubious about LFC on Freesync monitors, I guess I'd have to experience it for myself before I could say I would be happy to game for long hours with double frames.

Edit: Ok so I've just seen this video showing that Gsync also uses multiple frames at lower framerates, but it does leave me wondering if AMD's implemetation is as flexible. Can it pace the frames in cases of sudden framerate jumps on both AMD and Nvidia cards?

My son's LG monitor has a 50-144Hz FreeSync range, and LFC, and there are a couple of games he plays that do dip below 50. It's seamless as far as he and I could tell.

Nov 1, 2018
Freesync for me.
MSI Air Boost Vega 64, and an Alienware AW2518HF 25" 240 Hz monitor.
They work great, never had a problem with functionality.
Makes a nice difference.

the user experience isn't guaranteed to meet Nvidia's standards

Good point! But because of that last part of your statement, I would never buy one without certification. We've already seen instances on these boards of folks having varying problems with their Freesync monitors trying to use gsync. Just not worth the hassle of a maybe, for me at least. Good luck to the adventurous souls!

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Our comments system is under construction! Our developers are steadily working to bring it back to the editorial site. For now this is our work around, so if you have knowledge to share post it in the forums.

I would like to see a link at the end of EVERY story that points to a forum post. Seems hit-and-miss currently.

InvalidError

Titan
Good point! But because of that last part of your statement, I would never buy one without certification.
Most reviews of Adaptive Sync Gsync say that compatibility isn't an issue except for some older monitors with a more quirky early implementation. Gsync had its fair share of displays that needed firmware updates to fix issues too.

The joys and pitfalls of early adopting. I got burnt a long time ago with my Gravis Ultrasound. I don't remember buying first-gen anything new since. (Loved the thing when it worked, getting it to work was a PITA due to being a IO/IRQ resource hog that conflicted with 50 possible different things.)

chill1221

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Got an AW3418DW ultra-wide with G-Sync. What a difference! Having frame synchronization is beautiful. Don't think I could go back. I never liked tearing so I'd go for VSync, but that sucks too because it eats up frames and stutters sometimes. G-Sync gives me perfectly smooth image regardless of framerate. Though obviously framerate drops are noticeable still, it's due to the fact that there are just fewer frames per second, as opposed to any visible artifacts
AMEN to this monitor, I love mine!

I'm currently G-sync-ing. Unless Nvidia lowers the premium on G-sync, I'll be Freesync-ing with my next monitor.

If my video card keeps me above that 48Hz/48fps mark (or whatever the latest Freesync minimum is) with a sync monitor, there no longer seems to be a difference in the resulting product.

I do have to say, I've been developing feelings of resentment for team green charging me a premium once the 144Hz freesync monitors hit the market. It's a good thing they turned on freesync functionality through their Geforce drivers. My next monitor will be of the 21:9 144Hz Freesync variety. I really think Nvidia should just go full Freesync at this point.

I wonder what team blue will bring to the mix next year? I won't even consider anything from them if they don't debut with some kind of x-sync technology.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Considering who is running the program and that it is part of the display port standard, I don't see why Intel wouldn't. Exactly what Nvidia is doing to support freesync monitors.