Question Comodo firewall

Feb 23, 2020
I have tried several Firewalls on my Win10 PC and the one that seemed(!) to be the least troublesome to run was Comodo.
However, I now discover that of my 465 gig hard disc, nearly 420 gigs is occupied by Comodo! There is one file called cmmdata that is 419 gigs in size. To me, that is absurd.

If I uninstall the program and then reinstall, I assume the problem will occur again.

Why on earth is this file so large? And is there anything I can do to resolve it please?

Many thanks

David

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have tried several Firewalls on my Win10 PC and the one that seemed(!) to be the least troublesome to run was Comodo.
However, I now discover that of my 465 gig hard disc, nearly 420 gigs is occupied by Comodo! There is one file called cmmdata that is 419 gigs in size. To me, that is absurd.

If I uninstall the program and then reinstall, I assume the problem will occur again.

Why on earth is this file so large? And is there anything I can do to resolve it please?

Many thanks

David
I don't know what features you want in a firewall.
Is there some reason the stock w10 firewall does not work?

Colif

Win 11 Master
even the comodo helpers on forums don't know why it does it.

Comodo is free, no reason to not use it over defender.

even the comodo helpers on forums don't know why it does it.

Comodo is free, no reason to not use it over defender.
The op may have just found a reason not to use it.

Feb 23, 2020
I decided to delete Comodo. Sad really, as it appeared to function smoothly apart from the issue of the ever-growing cmmdata file.
What causes this? Why does Comodo not correct it (as other users complain about it)? And thirdly, what on earth is in that file?
I have read messages left on the Comdo forum about the problem, but these questions remained unanswered.
Bearing in mind the program is an important security feature, this occurrence hardly inspires confidence as far as I'm concerned.
The fact that the file grew to 420 gigs was, to me, a sufficient warning that there seems to be something amiss (every time I deleted something on my hard disc, Comodo simply became larger and swiftly swallowed up that additional free space!)
I now have Zonealarm. Basic I know, but at least I have my hard disc back!

Thanks

I've never bothered with a third-party firewall or AV software since upgrading to Windows 10 three or four years ago, and never had reason to regret it.
Windows Defender is all you need unless you habitually visit dodgy websites/torrents offering cracked software, in which case it serves you right if your PC gets infected.
I've been there -- learned my lesson.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020
I wholeheartedly agree with the previous poster: I do not trust Defender, and I am surprised that anyone would. Hence, I feel the need for a different firewall.
And with regard to the earlier comment: "Windows Defender is all you need unless you habitually visit dodgy websites/torrents offering cracked software, in which case it serves you right if your PC gets infected."
In reality, threats occur on sites that appear to be wholly respectable!

TRENDING THREADS