Compaq OverClocking

G

I need to overclock (err rather under clock) my Compaq for troubleshooting. But guess what? That piece of s*$# company wont let you into your own BIOS accept for some pretty basic settings (you can access from windows as well). Anyway, I am having minor lock up problems (I have a large post in the Windows Message Board as to previous trouble shooting) and i wanna try slowing my heap down. Anyone know any utilties or hacks I can use?

Bent on taking Compaq down

Gozer

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001
Hi when you boot up, I think you have to hit "Ctrl+Delete" or Ctrl+F2 or some thing like that, but you can get into your BIOS. it may take some time to get the combination, why not goto Compaq's web sit and go into a forum and just ask.

Do you smell that? I love the smell of thermal compound in the morning

G

If you have lock-up problems, why don't you return the comp and ask for compensation? This is the only advantage of buying a brand computer, I guess.

<font color=red>Apple</font color=red> <font color=blue>inside</font color=blue>, <font color=green>idiot</font color=green> <font color=purple>outside</font color=purple>...

G

compaq bios can be reach by hiting the f12(99% sure) key in the starting of the booting process.
let me know if you get in.
I have a 350mhz compaq and the bios is the sh*t there is almost nothing in it!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
yeah, compaq BIOS sucks, have a P1 compaq at work, the thing doesn't tell u anything about your comp, and lately it doesn't want to boot up, just goes into BIOS. How should I fry the sucker?

Your brain: PC
You brain on drugs: Mac

Uncle_joe

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
If I may ask why Compaq?
Burning money causes less headache: it's faster and easier.

Breaking news: Intel hit by a SledgeHammer! AMD to blame! More in just a moment...

G

lol i would drench it in water then turn it on still wet.
i like your sig flamethrower205 pure quality.
what are you sys specs flamethrower205?
Uncle_joe the compaq really belongs to my mother(likes the extended warranty compusmart offers).
Personnally i hate them, i am running a custom build system(that i built) with a 800mhz duron,msi mobo and no warranties(lost them the day i touched the parts).
Now its cheaper/faster to build your own system than to buy a compaq pc(so what do you mean by "Burning money causes less headache: it's faster and easier")

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
The system specs for teh piece o [-peep-] compaq at work are:
166P1@ 200MHz
2 MB built in vid card
creative labs (old) sound card
40 MB EDO RAM
2.0 GB hard drive
unknown mobo

G

did you really want to fry that pc?
man some of my friends are still running off 486 66mhz at stock speed

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
It's just that it's pissed me off so much during teh summer. We have random processors lying around. Apparently there's a K6 at 500MHz in one of teh drawers, but no mobo for it, so sadly it's considered junk. Was thinking of purchasing a mobo for it, but didn't really want to use my money in helping out my employer:)