Compare Pentium M and P4

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PlayJunior

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I don't think that it was a low-end notebook. It was my friend's notebook which was bought for him my their company for working from home ;)
As for prices, where can I find current processor pricing? Because 650$ for 2.16 Ghz seems really expensive to me.

the_guru

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
I don't think that it was a low-end notebook. It was my friend's notebook which was bought for him my their company for working from home ;)
As for prices, where can I find current processor pricing? Because 650$ for 2.16 Ghz seems really expensive to me.
The 2.16GHz dualcore yonah isn't released yet and I don't think 650$ was just for the CPU. Anyway it isn't that expensive. You shouldn't look at the frequency so much, the CPU really kicks ass.

But if your on a budget, buy a Pentium M.

PlayJunior

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Had you read the thread before posting you should notice that there has been not a single word about Pentium 4 based notebook. I am considering Pentium M.

DuxSyagrius

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
LtCmdr Data is right on this one for sure. Just wait a bit. With a 3ghz CPU you arent hurting for power thats for sure. Like I said before, I have a 1ghz P-m and it works admirably for a slow CPU. The HDD regularly get hotter than the CPU. I wish it had better power saving features (lowering brightness on the LCD has the most impact) but if I am not mistaken, Yonah will adress that batter than dothan did. Patience, patience, and more patience! Wait and see what is on sale too. From what I have read, single core yonahs are not going to improve performance that much. If there is a premium on price for single core yonahs, then maybe you can get a dothan core P-m on sale or close out on new egg. Who knows? Maybe single core yonahs will be cheaper than dothans and the dual cores will be the expensive ones this time.

PlayJunior

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I would agree with you if it wasn't Intel...:)
As far as I know Intel highens old processor prices just before they get out of fabrication. It is always not worth buying the top-end and the lower-end intel processors. That is, they just might high the Pentium M 1.86 Dothan's price. And the Yonah one might prove to be expensive due to accessories (667 Mhz DDr, new mobo etc.).
I am confused...

DuxSyagrius

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Yeah dude, laptops are a mixed bag at best. I paid $2300 for my fujitsu lifebook 6100. I got all the bells and whistles to include an extra high capacity battery. Ironically, for all the power saving features of the centrino platform, the thing that is killing me is that fact that my batteries are getting old. I used to get 10 hrs on them. Now I get 7. Clocking the CPU from 1ghz to 600Mhz only gets me another 30 minutes or so. Lower the screen brightness can get me up to another hour and 15 minutes if I am not doing anything serious on it. In retrospect, I wish I had never paid so much for it. It has intel extreme graphics2. I can barely play Rome: total war. I frequently get lock ups and CTD. It neat to look at but very impractible for a moderate power user. The screen is 1280x768 so some programs are perpetually missing buttons and what not (like Civ3 editor). The funny thing is that I am so self concious about power I never use it unless I am connected to a power source. It really is a waste. If you are going to do this, then go all the way. Get like an alienware laptop with Geforce 6600GO graphics, a 1.7-1.86 Ghz CPU, 1 GB of RAM and all that jazz. If you are not willing to spend some serious cash I think you will regret your purchase. I think a fast sempron or Turion CPU in a 15.4" chassis is good to go right now. The new yonah core will be good by mid 2006. Like I said, notebooks are a moxed bag and its impossible to get everything you want. I say the best strategy is a good desktop and a cheap disposable notebook for light gaming and Divx movies on the go. Good luck!

PlayJunior

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Oh, battery life is not an option for me. I will be connected 95% of time:)
The only game I might be playing with that laptop is Starcraft Broodwar, which runs perfectly on a P133 Mhz with 1-2 MB video :)
I also like non-wide (ordinal ) screens, but now most of the laptops seem to come with wide screen, I don't know why.
Btw I am going to spend ~1100-1200$ for that computer.
I think I will stick on 1.86 Ghz P M (Dothan or Yonah, dunno) or 2Ghz Thurion, 1 Ghz RAM. I think I will fit in that budget.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think I have an answer!

Big notebooks might come with a widescreen display because they cost more. Really, people want to pay more to get trendy things. It's all about widescreen DVD play which most people who buy them never do.

Small notebooks are starting to come with lower resolution widescreens. Again that's fine for DVD play, since DVD's aren't high-resolution anyway. But more importantly, small notebooks are...small! People want keyboards that are as close to full-size as possible, that limits how narrow the laptop can be, so the laptop is shrunk in other dimensions.

I think it's mostly a matter of getting the biggest screen to fit a notebook of a given size. That, and the trendiness of widescreen displays. When you combine the two things, a manufacturer can say "Look, it's a 17" display on a notebook that's only x by x dimensions! And on top of that, it's widescreen!" Funny thing about widescreen, you can make the numbers bigger on a screen that has less viewable area.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Yes, AMD is releasing the ML-44 as a stop gap measure to counter the upcoming Yonah launch. While the ML-44 will be superior in games due to its faster single-core clock speed, Yonah will still be better for most tasks due to its multithreading and power saving features. (The thing can deactivate the second core to save power and sleep all of its transistors except the ones currently in use). AMD won't be able to offer a dual core Turion64 until late April at the earliest which is when Socket S1 comes out. I wonder why they called it S1, and gave the name M2 to the desktop?

PlayJunior

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I was looking at the comparison of Yonah 2.13 Ghz to Athlon X2 3800+, Athon X2 4200+ and Pentium D 3.0 Ghz. In fact it outperformed Pentium 3.0 Ghz in almost all tests and was like almost equal with 3800+. It is quite impressive. I think I will get me a 2.0 Ghz or even a 1.86 Yonah, especially when the price is same as Dothan.

DuxSyagrius

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Do you think that intel will follow AMD's pricing policy on its dual core yonahs ie, the cheapest dual core is as expensive as its highest clocked single core. Or will say, a dual core 1.6 ghz CPU be less expensive than a 2.16 ghz single core? I am very surprised at the performance of these chips. Just for the sake of saved money on electrical bills and lower heat, I wouldnt mind getting a dual core 1.86 yonah for $300 even if it was slower than an X2 3800. But if the damned thing is going to be like 400 bucks then they can keep it.

PlayJunior

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
A link was posted in this thread that sowed the pricings for Yonah. 1.86 was < 300$, 2.0 Ghz was like 400 with something, 2.13 was 650, and <1.86 the price difference was not that much, so it was clearly best in performance/price-wise to get the 1.86 thing.
As for as 2.13~3800+ => 1.86~3800*1.86/2.13=3318, which is only slightly worse or even with P4 2.8 Ghz I guess.
It will be great if I get that new Yonah-based system with today's 1.86 Dothan price. I doubt I can.
Anyhow, thank you for your help guys, your comments were really useful and helped me to come to a decision.
To a right one, I hope.... 8)